Why does sound only come from two speakers and sub-woofer although RealTek audio manager says all speakers work?

Ankit Srivastava April 12, 2013

When I open RealTek audio manager and click on the speaker diagram given in RealTek audio manager, it shows all (5.1) speakers are working right. However, when I play any audio/video, sound only comes from two speakers (surround-left and central) and sub-woofers, although I have a 5.1 channel speaker system.

How can I solve this? It’s quite ridiculous!

1. gpvprasad

5.1 need not enable all 6 speakers, only if those carriers are present they will be working

2. Jan Fritsch

I agree with what ha14 suggestion – these would by my next steps too.
    "Speaker Fill" (which creates a virtual 5.1 sound), other software player

It might also be worth to check for a driver update for your Realtek ALC sound card. Older drivers were known to cause such problems in Windows 7.

Since I don't have a Realtek ALC at any system I can't test this but I read a suggestion to double-click the colored output "jacks" within the Audio Manager to reassign the actual output – not sure if that is actually possible.

Another tip was within the Realtek Audio Manager there should be a yellow folder icon in the top right above the graphical outputs. Click that icon and uncheck/disable Front Panel detection (or anywhere else you can find it in the software). Some front panels may send a small interference causing the sound card to assume there is something connected.

have you tried with other players like VLC, iTunes, Winamp...assuming you tested with Windows media player

have you tried in Realtek software enabling "Speaker Fill"? it should be under Speaker Configuration

HELP!Vista and Realtek HD audio cannot provide surround sound!!
    http://forums.redflagdeals.com/help-vista-realtek-hd-audio-cannot-provide-surround-sound-555823/

5. Jan Fritsch

What do you mean by "shows all (5.1) speakers working right"?

The image shows the speakers based on what you have selected. The important question is whether they are all working when you perform a test within the Realtek Audio Manager.

If you are using analog outputs you will have to connect all 3 jacks to get 5.1 sound. A single audio jack won't be enough to transmit all 6 signals.

Once all speakers are working within the Realtek Audio Manager and you still only get 2.1 sound the issue comes from your source file or/and video application. Basically what happens in that case is that the source is only stereo audio and neither the application nor Realtek is performing an upmix to 5.1

• ankit

i have all the 3 jacks connected and tested in realtek audio manager and it shows right and working,but still i only get 2.1 sound system when i play any music or video dude! can u give me a quick solution ti fix this?

• Chris Marcoe

Good info here. thank you for the answer(even though its not my question.)