Why does sound come from internal speakers even when I plug in headphones?

Lauri June 8, 2012

Whenever I plug a set of headphones or external speakers into my computer, no sound comes from them. The sound continues to come from the computer’s built in speakers. I have plugged the headphones and speakers into different jacks, but no success.

1. Emme

Before Windows 8 I used to be able to plug the headphones in and the sound would automatically switch over from speakers to headphones without manually disabling/enabling devices.

Any suggestions on how to set this up?

2. Lourens

In my case my headphone jack has been identified as a line in jack, but the advanced settings or connector retasking options are not available :(

3. Nick

I have the same problem, except the headphones do work, but i still get sound from the speakers.

4. Hannes Grebin

ha14 was right for me! thxx

5. Logan Cunningham

You just need to set your computer to send audio through the headphones. This can usually be done through the options for your soundcard

6. Rhys Davies

Sometimes you have to go into control panel and manually select the output option

perhaps this can help
    Windows 8 Headphone problem
    click on Disable front panel jack detection and click on OK

Go into
    -> control panel
    -> device manager (must be an administrator)
    -> sound, video and game controllers
    - Right click on your audio device
    - choose "disable"
    - wait afew minutes and right click, choose "enable"

1) open sound from control panel,
    2) on the playback window right click anywhere and choose show disabled Devices
    3) Re-enable your device

• jocelyn

Thanks, worked for my HP laptop with windows 8. Great help!!

In the Control Panel click on Sound and check if it has a green tick next to Speakers Realtek High Definition Audio. If not right click on that option and choose Use as standard.
    Open the Realtek Audio Manager in the Control Panel and click on the Speakers tab.
    Now in the top section there is a speaker button next to the volume control, click it while trying your speakers or headphones.
    Another thing that springs to mind is the sound driver, try updating it.

• Bree

I Don't Have, "RealTek Audio Manager".. Soo, Now What do I Do? :/

If you are using either Vista or Win7, you can click on the speaker icon in the notification area and select the Mixer link on the bottom of the slider. When the full mixer dialog opens, if the icon is not headphones for the Device slider (far left), select the arrow under the current icon and change it to Headphones. Close the dialog.

Depending on your soundcard and driver there might be an option to automatically switch to headphones if connected.

11. GamE

the jack may be damaged

The jacks don't necessarily have to be damaged. Front jacks like to get dirty over time ~ if they were not used over a longer period it might help to simply plugging in and out several time to "clean" the contacts.

This is how I solved that problem.
    Open the Control Panel the click on RealTek HD Audio Manager then in the window that opens select Speakers.
    In the right hand column under digital or analog, depending on your settings, you'll see your mic and headphone inputs represented by small circles.
    If nothing is plugged in then they should both be greyed out and unavailable, plug in your headphones if they are not already plugged in.
    The headphone circles should now be accessable, by that I mean not greyed out.
    Right click and select "Connector Retasking" You'll get a dialogue box pop up that says "The current connected device is", Select "Headphones".
    You will also see "Enable auto pop up dialog when device has been plugged in" check the box next to it and click OK.
    Your speakers should now cut out when your headphones are plugged in and you will get a dialogue box allowing you to change the setting should you wish.

• Lauri

When I plug in the headphones, the Realtek box automatically pops up to ask what I plugged in. I click "headphones". When I try the onscrean sound test, no sound comes from the headphones, but sound continues to come from the internal speakers. When I plug in external speakers, I get the same result. I know these items work as I have used them before, just not on this computer.

• Callum Handley

THANK YOU! Oh I have been trying to figure that out for weeks, thank you so much! It's been so irritating because I accidentally unchecked the box for it to automatically pop up...

• Martin Curtis

At last. I have trawled every website for a solution. Finally, one that works. I cant thank you enough.

• Evie

this has changed my life. thank you so much

13. Oron

Sounds like a minor hardware fault. When you push in the headphone jack, its side pushes aside a strip of metal. This makes contact with the headphone and breaks the connection with the loudspeaker. It sounds like the strip of metal is bent or otherwise damaged. If you are handy with a soldering iron, you should be able to replace the socket. If not, disconnect all power from the PC and see if you can bend that metal strip back from the inside (tricky, but usually doable).