Why does Skype on my iPhone not work at the office?

September 23, 2013

Hiya,
I am able to connect to Skype via home WiFi perfectly, but when I try to connect Skype through the office WiFi, my iPhone 5 doesn’t connect – just states “connecting” and if I log off and log in into Skype again it states “Signing in….” and stays on the logon screen indefinitely.
Now the main twist is that if I try another Skype on another iPhone 5, or even on my laptop usint the office WiFi it DOES connect. :(
I am unable to figure this out. Is the problem with my iPhone 5 or with the office router thingy?
Yours suggestions are valuable to me so plz do shoot it all out :)
Cheers,
Zia

1. Keith L

Is the laptop you are using owned by your employer? If so, Network Security or Network Management department may block foreign devices from using their resources.

perhaps setting problems use the same settings as in the another iphone 5

Does it only effect Skype on your iPhone or also other internet access e.g. surfing in Safari, receiving emails (from a server outside the company network), Twitter, iCloud, Dropbox or whatever you have setup on your phone?

The most basic troubleshooting is to "Forget this Network" and then reconnect.
    Settings > Wi-Fi > click the (i) on your offices WiFi name and at the top click this button. Now reconnect to the WiFi.

The other step that often solves network related issues is to go into Settings > General > Reset and "Reset Network Settings". This however means that all stored WiFi keys will be deleted and you will have to input them again for all of them.

Next up, delete and re-download Skype (who knows)

If you updated to iOS7 already go into Settings > Cellular, scroll to the bottom and enable "Use cellular data for" Skype. This should not effect Skype on a WiFi network but you never know if it might be a bug in this new release.