Why does my Yahoo email freeze up every time I check it?
Question by Christine /

I am wanting to know why my email keeps freezing up every time i get on it. It will say that it isnt responding but it is happening regardless of what I am doing while logged in. Please help, I want to know why and how to solve it. My email address is a Yahoo email.

• Raphita Tobing

Same thing happening to me since last week. It’s frustrating. Not only does the mail freeze, when it suddenly decides to work again (for a few minutes) and I quickly use that few minutes to send my replies to emails, what happens? The words I type don’t appear until a few seconds later. Mail messages take forever to load and I get the “Retry” messages all the time!!

• Kristin

No solutions, but I’m having the same issue here – it’s been ongoing for a few weeks. If I open a new tab, Yahoo works (for a few minutes, anyway). It’s extremely annoying, and may finally be the thing that gets me to move to gmail.

• Louise

I use Chrome to access my yahoo email and never had a problem until yesterday. My mail keeps freezing up. I’ve run a virus check and there is no problem there. What’s going on? Has something changed? I’m about ready to try a different web based email having had Yahoo for years!

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

It happens to me often too. Yahoo!Mail is highly unresponsive and prone to freezing no matter which computer I use to access it, not to mention very slow. I recommend you to use email client, or like me, accessing the inbox via mobile phone, or ditch it completely.

• Akosua

I keep facing the same issue too irrespective of the browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox). The issue is only with Yahoo so it must a problem with them. I do not face that issue with my gmail account.

• Alex

My wife has the same issue. It constantly freezes on her. It doesn’t matter what computer or browser she is on. It freezes everywhere. My Yahoo account works absolutely fine on the same computers. Definitely a Yahoo issue. Hello gmail.

• Oron Joffe

As Rajaa and Junil suggest, you should first isolate the problem by trying a different browser. If you find that it works fine in the other browser, then it’s something to do with Internet Explorer. Most likely, it will be a problem either with cookies, with the cache (“Temporary Internet Files” in IE), or possibly a toolbar or some other add-on.
    In that case you should delete the cache & cookies (click the at the top right corner,choose “Internet Options”, click on [Delete] and take it from there). Try Yahoo mail again, and if the problem pesists, try removing add-ons (cog, “Manage Add-ons”).
    If Yahoo freezes in the other browsers as well, get back here and let us know!

perhaps you installed some plugins?

Basic troubleshooting steps
    http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&id=SLN3223&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1360849876034&locale=en_US&y=PROD_MAIL_ML
    Resolution

By making a few adjustments to your Internet browser and/or computer settings, you can resolve the most common problems in Yahoo! Mail, Contacts, Calendar, and Notepad. We encourage you to sign in to Yahoo! Mail after each set of steps to see if the issue is resolved.

Before proceeding: Test with a different supported browser. If you experienced problems in Internet Explorer, try accessing your Yahoo! Mail in Firefox or Chrome to see if the problem resolves itself.

Step 1:
    1.Ensure that you are using a supported browser. Yahoo! Mail may not work properly in older browsers.
    2.Clear your browser’s cache and cookies.
    3.Ensure JavaScript is enabled and updated.
    4.Sign in to Yahoo! Mail and see if the issue is resolved.

Step 2:
    1.Disable browser add-ons and plug-ins.
    2.Update Adobe Flash Player.
    3.Sign in to Yahoo! Mail and see if the issue is resolved.

Step 3:
    1.Temporarily disable antivirus, antispyware, and firewall products.
    2.If you’re using Internet Explorer, check your Internet Explorer Compatibility Mode settings. You should disable compatibility mode if it is enabled.

Step 4:
    1.Restart your computer.
    2.Test from another computer (this eliminates your computer as a cause of this issue).

Troubleshooting several common browser problems in Yahoo! products
    http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&id=SLN2891&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1360849876034&locale=en_US&y=PROD_MAIL_ML
    These issues may be caused by browser settings or third-party programs, including:
    •Add-ons, plug-ins, or third-party browser extensions that provide browser function customization.
    •Browser cookie settings or cached pages.
    •Security programs for anti-virus, anti-spyware, or firewalls that block website scripts for enhanced website features.
    •JavaScript is disabled.

try to reinstall java.

If your internet speeds are not so regular i.e. varies too much then it might be the reason for freezing.

• Junil Maharjan

use a different browser to check if the same problem arises or not. it might be the problem with your browser. try firefox or chrome.

I guess you are using MS Explorer 9, which should not cause a problem. However, just why don’t you check it out in either Google Chrome ( https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chrome/browser/ ) or Mozilla Firefox ( http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ ) , to see if the issue persists or not. I use Chrome for my Yahoo Mail, and have not faced any such issues. Also you need to be a bit patient as Yahoo Mail sometimes do take some time to load. :)