Why does my Windows 7 screen resolution randomly change on its own?
Question by Partha Sarathy /

I have a Windows 7 desktop with Samsung 20 inch monitor (NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT). For the past one week, the screen resolution has been changing. Sometimes it reverts back and some times not. How to fix this? Please help!

• null

After upgrading the graphic card driver, the fault is not repeated….I will watch for some time and let you know thanks

• Justin Pot

When this happens to me it’s usually because I’m waking the computer up from sleep while the monitor is turned off. Windows detects no monitor and guesses a resolution – which is absurdly high. May or may not be relevant, but I hope you find a solution!

• Leland Whitlock

If the video card is on the verge of failing it can sometimes default back to a basic VGA driver which will have a lower resolution than what you are used to. If that is the case you might have to plan for buying a new card. Otherwise the updated driver might help. Just be sure to test over several days and make a good backup in case anything goes wrong. I would also suggest a system restore point when it is working right. The only other time I have seen an issue like this is when the registry was failing. An in place upgrade install might fix it but more likely a full backup and reinstall from scratch would be best. If you have to go this route make an image backup after to make restoring your system easier in the future than having to full reinstalls from scratch. Good luck.

• Partha Sarathy

Updated the Graphic card driver. Will try clean boot..Thanks

The Monitor itself wcan be faulty? have you tried to update the graphic card driver

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    check if the screen resolution is fixed, if yes then this can be caused by driver, software, even malware scheduled as startup item