Why does my Windows 7 installation keep failing?

cis per avo March 27, 2013

So I start my PC from the DVD drive with a Windows 7 .ISO file, no problems so far. The message on the screen says “Windows is loading files … “, 0k so far. But, after this, no “Custom”, no “Upgrade” appears and there is no way to make any user input.

Instead, the Microsoft blue sky screen with the little bird and a narrow black frame around the screen is visible, no icons, no buttons, only mouse, but no context menu. I can only unplug my PC and start it again. When started normally the machine is working well – almost – except that Windows Update is damaged, hence wanting to do a clean re-install of Windows.

Help from Microsoft has failed me, and I will receive no more support from them.

Please help!

1. Phil Morris

based off the reason for wanting to reinstall windows i would expect that your PC is having some issues in general.

follow my post about going through the windows eventviewer and see what errors you are getting, by doing this you can save the need for a reinstall.

if you insist on doing a reinstall anyway i advise that you check that the ISO has been burned to the disk properly and not just the ISO file is on the disk.

the ISO should contain lots of files that should be viewable on the disk

2. cis per avo

cis per avo (the one who asked the question): just waiting the 20 minutes did the Job. Everything is regular, the win install is complete now. Thanks People + thanks Forum for many interesting contributions to my quite unprofound question. I'll mark it ANSWERED now. Votes given not for Quality, but because of being the solution which helped me in the end ...

3. Fawad A

Try a clean install

4. peter_lydon

Most recent PC have a partition (visible or hidden) that contains a factory-reset installation. Assuming you are upgrading to Windows 7, you could try going back to your original installation and working from there. For Dell machine, you hold F11 while booting.

5. null

previous "Thanks all first ..." (anonymous by input error) was from CIS PER AVO who had asked this question on MARCH 27

6. null

Thanks all first.

I am still in touch with MS who offer free support for update issues, but they can't find the point. It is the optional Silverlight that doesn't install, the march MS malware removal tool installs but continues appearing in the updates' list. MS support now too advise me a clean install.

This step is hard to take since my system is otherwise well tuned and works nicely. Shouldn't I instead just leave the update bug there for a hundred years more, and stick with my real work ? But I fear there is more behind.

I have tried the repair tool suggested by DalSan M. which leaves the update issue unresolved. Can't report any + or - about this pretty tool.

I am not sure about a DVD being bootable or not. My iso files are from msft.DigitalRiverContent.net/win/, as suggested by MS support. I've burnt them on various DVDs, each does its job well loading install files after boot, so this shouldn't be a question. I receive here all the interesting clues for acceleration, but next I will absolve an exercise in patience and wait the 20 minutes or more suggested by Dave Rimmer and Saape, until the expected install dialogs jump up, and then report here again. If the dlgs come up, we have talked much for little, but I will still appreciate.

mount the iso into virtual system and see if you will get any options.

Mount Your Image Files On a Virtual Drive With WinCDEmu [Windows]
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/mount-your-image-files-on-a-virtual-drive-with-wincdemu/

3 Free Alternatives To DAEMON Tools For Mounting Image Files
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-free-alternatives-daemon-tools-mounting-image-files/

8. Isaac Walker-cox

Hey! If it continues to happen, remove the hard drive, get it wiped and start over!

9. Dave Rimmer

So if you are trying to install fron an ISO file from the DVD drive as Alan has stated did you burn the ISO to DVD then try to install if so then like Saape explains wait for a while I have installed to an SSD drive and it took something like 20 mins for the Microsoft blue screen to proceed to the next screen, try this first then get back if this fails.

You say an iso file, have you made a bootable dvd?
    Are you installing to a clean partition or trying to install over the ready installed Windows?
    Where did you get the iso file, from Microsoft, Technet or another source?

11. SaapeXD MoHods

Wait for a long time (worked for me) until the installation options menu comes up!

Or try pressing SHIFT+F10 while the mouse cursor appears. Then type setup.exe in the cmd window that opens. then again a lot of waitings have to be done .. the reason is ....

SInce you are installing from DVD , it would take a lot of time since DVD read speed is slower than that of a USB flash disk! :D

• null

Thanks all first.

I am not sure about a DVD being bootable or not. My iso files are from msft.DigitalRiverContent.net/win/, as suggested by MS support. I've burnt them on various DVDs, each does its job well loading install files after boot, so this shouldn't be a question.

I receive here all the interesting clues for acceleration, but next I will absolve an exercise in patience and wait the 20 minutes or more suggested by Dave Rimmer and Saape, until the expected install dialogs jump up, and then report here again. If the dlgs come up, we have talked much for little, but I will still appreciate.

12. DalSan M

Have you tried to use Windows Repair (All-in-one) from http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html? It should help to fix the Windows Update issues. If not, Shane (the creator) from Tweaking.com should be able to help if you contact him. His software is recommended by Microsoft support teams and has helped me with many issues that occurred when Windows winds up screwed up.

13. Chris Marcoe

What message is it giving you, if any? And/or, where is it hanging?

• Chris Marcoe

Sorry... For some reason, I totally missed the first paragraph, which is exactly what I asked...

So, you have Windows on it already and are trying a clean install... After you try the new install, you can still access your old install that works fine except for updates? Is that right?