Why does my TV note recognize my WD Passport after it was reformatted for Mac?

October 28, 2013

I just reformatted my WD passport so it would work with my MacBook. I put all of my videos back on to the HD. However, when it is plugged into my TV, it says that no media can be found. When it is connected to my computer I am able to see all of the media and all of the media works, but it is not being shown on the TV. My TV recognizes my passport and loads it, just not the media. Could this be because I reformatted it?

Before it was reformatted, I was able to use it on my TV, just was not able to add any new media from my MAC, which is why I reformatted it in the first place….

The Mac's native file system - HFS+ will not be recognised by the TV. Conversly, NTFS, which is often used by Windows systems, will appear as read only on the Mac (there are workarounds to that, but this is the default position). As Jan says, your best bet is to reformat the drive as FAT32 which will work with both the Mac & the TV.

The main limitation of FAT32 is that individual files cannot exceed 4GB in size. You'll just need to live with that.

What partition table scheme and file system did you reformat the hard drive with? The default for OS X is GUID Partition table and HFS+. Both are unlikely supported by other media devices.

The best option is Master Boot Record and if supported by your TV use exFAT, otherwise MS-DOS FAT (FAT32).

When reformatting your drive you can find and change both under the partition tab within Disk Utility. The file system format is right under the name input, the partition map is selectable when clicking the "Options" button at the bottom.

Of course changing either one will erase all data currently on the drive so backup beforehand.