Why does my Toshiba webcam only work with third party software and how do I fix it?

Fal D November 30, 2013

Hi guys. I have this problem that I’ve been trying to solve for so long. Please help me. So this is the mind-boggling issue:

Okay so I have my relatively new Toshiba laptop and at first glance everything seemed to have been in good order, but a few days ago when I tried to access the camera app in the start section (an app with a white camera icon) it loads but after but then shortly disappears.

My brother also got his Toshiba and his camera app is working perfectly. I checked the device manager and it is listed under imaging device and when tried updating the driver it stated that everything was up to date. Now this is the thing – on Skype my camera works fine but when I try accessing the app in the start menu that is where the problem begins. It just won’t work. I have no clue what’s happening here.

Can someone, anyone please help me? I am begging! PLEASE!!!!

I would really appreciate any help at all.

you can image your windows so that you dont need to refresh and reinstall applications

• Fal D

I will most definitely keep you informed whenever I upgrade back to windows 8.1, however I'm a bit scared because this is my work pc and I've already installed a few of the software that I use frequently and don't want to go through the trouble of re-installing them again. Hovsep A mentioned something about imaging my windows so that I won't have to refresh and re-install my applications. Will check that out (I have no idea how it's done, but google has proven to be a good friend). will keep you posted.

• Fal D

Thanks man! will try these for sure!

Before upgrading your laptop to 8.1, try using the Upgrade Assistant to see if any desktop apps are not compatible with 8.1. You can find the Upgrade Assistant here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8. The Upgrade Assistant may not tell you if all of your apps will or won't be compatible, but browse here to find out more information. http://support.toshiba.com/support/search?search_query=support+for+upgrade+to+Windows+8.1#

Many manufacturers have mentioned caution or incompatible systems with Windows 8.1, even if it is an upgrade from 8. Some of the apps may not be compatible with 8.1 and you may need to periodically check Toshiba's support site for updates to the software and drivers.

If your brother has the same laptop and Windows 8.1, but the camera app and other software works, then other issues may be the cause. Let us what happens after you upgrade (if you choose to do so now).

3. Fal D

DalSan M, thank you so much. the refresh thing worked. Although I lost windows 8.1 and all of my software. but the apps are working and the camera is working normally as well. Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it. I wonder if windows 8.1 was the problem? I really like it but just to be sure I'll install windows 8.1 first before I any of my major software. If my apps and camera stop functioning again then I'll just refresh it again.

Thanks once more DalSan. The world is now a better place.

From your description, I'd say that the webcam driver is fine (that's what Skype would be using), but the Toshiba webcam application is not running properly. Go to the address DalSan suggested and download the application rather than the driver, install and cross your fingers!

• Fal D

I had my fingers crossed, but unfortunately that option won't end my troubles.

perhaps because the webcam is opened in skype and for some reasons skype not letting the webcam to go, so when you try to launch from start menu you cant because you will get two instances of webcam launched?
    Automatically diagnose and fix Skype audio and webcam issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/skype/

• Fal D

Thanks for you response. I get this message when I follow your link: We're sorry, but your operating system is not supported by Microsoft Fix it at this time. I also tried downloading another version that is compatible with my windows 8, but couldn't find any.

have you tried to uninstall skype to see if the webcam will work as usual?

6. DalSan M

Go to http://support.toshiba.com/drivers and search for your laptop model, and then search the drivers and downloads for the camera software and/or drivers. Download and install them to see if it helps. If not, uninstall the camera driver and software, then try installing then again. Get back to us on whether this works or not so we can look further into this situation (if possible, post the laptop model and camera model so it would be easier to find more information more easily).

• Fal D

I tried this approach but nothing happened. By the way thanks for your help. Will I didn't try uninstalling the drivers, but I did repair the system driver with one that I downloaded. I'm afraid I don't know how to uninstall the camera driver,, because I didn't see any such driver or software listed on the toshiba driver's page. I hope I am not doing anything wrong here. Please correct me if I am. I just could not find it.

• DalSan M

In order to try to find the software appropriate for your laptop, we would need the laptop model and operating system version (ie. Windows 8 32-bit or 64-bit, etc.). Without this information, it would be very difficult to narrow down what software package you may need to install to get the camera app working again.

• Fal D

Sorry for the late response. Been trying a bunch of things. I also realized that many of my apps that came with the laptop aren't working as well.

My model is: Satellite C55D-A
      Brand: Toshiba
      system: Microsoft Windows 8.1
      Bit: 64-bit

• Dalsan M

The model number you gave was not a complete number, it would have been something like Satellite C55D-A A5240NR or similar. Since you are having issues with other pre-installed software, it may not matter since I would suggest performing the action below.

You may have to repair-install or "Refresh" your laptop in order to get the apps working again. http://news.asiaone.com/news/digital1/windows-81-refresh-and-reset In the Windows 8.1 settings there should be an option to choose Refresh. If this does not help, you may have to go to the last resort and reset your laptop.