Why does my Sony Vaio’s battery only last 30 minutes now?

Jason C August 24, 2013

I have been using my Sony vaio for the past 4 years. It has a lithium ion battery and last only 30 minutes now. This happened after 2-3 years of using. I don’t understand if lithium ion battery doesn’t have memory effect, how can it degrade so fast?

If you think that replacing the battery could be costly,and your laptop is still good enough for productive use,then keep on using it through wall socket.
    Never go for aftermarket batteries for cheap replacement as they might damage your laptop.

I would like to add that lithium ion batteries deteriorate over time, even when not used. if you purchase a lithium ion battery and just store it, after five years of storage, the battery should be pretty much on its last leg with low battery life and usage time. Nickel-cadmium batteries can last many years longer (I still have AA Ni-CAD batteries that work fine, though a little less battery life, even after 12 years). Recommended replacement for lithium ion batteries are every one or two years of use. You can't save your battery, but be glad that you were able to use it for so long.

3. Tsf O

You need to check the voltage of charger on volt meter if thats ok then you need to change the battery.

I agree with Matt and Tim. You've done very well to make the battery last this long. You can get compaticle batteries for a reasonable price (just make sure it's from a reputable source), or from Sony, for a slightly less reasonable price...

5. Tim Brookes

As Matt said, 4 years is absolutely ages. I'm surprised it even managed 30 minutes to be honest with you, past laptops of mine have dropped to less than that after only 2 years for me.

Just because Li-ion batteries don't suffer memory effect doesn't mean they aren't susceptible to standard degradation. The cells naturally will lose their capacity over time, usually residing at around 60-70% after the first few years of moderate use. Factors like heat can play a role in this degradation (heat kills batteries is a general rule to remember) so a laptop cooling stand will help prolong the life if that's something you're concerned about.

You can probably replace the battery yourself by simply buying another and slotting it in. Most are removable, and even the ones that aren't are often manageable. Aside from this, Sony themselves will probably do it (for a premium fee, I'd have thought) and alternatively local laptop repair businesses might be able to assist too. Batteries can be quite expensive though, so you might want to consider whether putting that money toward another laptop would be a better way to go, considering 4 years is a pretty good age for a laptop!

6. Matt Smith

Lithium Ion batteries do degrade over time, and that accelerates through use and exposure to heat. 4 years is a pretty long time to use one, so I'm not surprised life is so short now. You'll just have to get a replacement.