Why does my PC’s speakers make a hissing sound when I plug in a USB device?

Osama Javaid June 25, 2012

Whenever I plug in any USB device into my PC an annoying hissing sound appears in my headphones or speakers (even if I am not transferring data to or from it) , and if I start transferring data, strange and very annoying and loud screeching sounds starts coming from the headphones.

1. Perry

Im having this problem too with my Windows 7. Its almost a year old now, whenever i plug somthing into the usb i hear static crackles. and scince i use netgear (A USB plugin antenna) Im always hearing this noise. is there anyway i can stop it? Pleas Email me if you find a solution.

2. Uday

The problem is due to static charge. Get a separate sound card. Get a cheap sound card. It would definitely be better than the integrated one. And also change the PC case if sound persists.

3. ElDavid

I have this same problem. It happens only when I use the front USB ports, though. The back USB ports don't make the speakers hum or hiss; just the front ones. Weird. my MoBo is an Intel DGB33FB (If I recall). I use regular audio jack speakers with separate power supply, not USB speakers.

4. Declan Lopez

This happens to my speakers when I connect to the internet through my Pantech UML290 modem even when they are not connected to the computer. It must be an interference issue.

Someone with a triple E degree can probably explain this much better than I can, but it sounds like improper shielding on a USB cable (or some kind of cable) is causing magnetic interference. The strange thing about audio devices is that you can detect this distortion through the noise that's produced.

Cell phones are another cause of magnetic interference that your speakers will more than likely pick up (because they have improper shielding on an internal or external component).

Actually, a friend of mine (with a triple E degree) explained this to me after my 3.5 audio jack speakers made crazy noises because of their proximity to a cell phone.

Try leaving your phone by your speakers while you listen to music or surf the web. Leave the peakers on. If it's properly shielded, you'll not hear a thing. If there's improper shielding, it'll pick up a great deal of your phone's data activity. You'll hear a variety of pulses and buzzes if so.

6. kulotpoako

try muting your line in and any else that is not in use in the sound options

makes a big difference

7. Vipul Jain

Right click on Volume icon in tray.
    Click on Sounds.
    In it check sounds for Asterisk, Exclamation, System Notification.
    Maybe some faulty sounds are assigned there..

or try a different pen drive
    or try hooking up some other headphones or speakers to be sure if its not the sound system's fault.

Hello, what kind of mike/speakers do you have? Are they by any chance USB powered?

• Osama Javaid

speakers are externally powered, and headphones.

9. Josh Vogler

This probably isn't the case for you, but I had a similar situation. The sound would happen when I hooked up the speaker's power cord to the port on the computer. I went and got an AC adapter w/ the same rating, and got my power from a wall outlet and all feedback stopped. It would be unbearable when I had a thumb drive plugged into the front USB port, and speakers getting their power from same computer.

Do your speakers get their power from the computer?

• Osama Javaid

no, these are seperately powered

10. Ravi Meena

do you get little shock when you touch the cabinet of your PC?, if yes then it might be a problem related to the earthing of the electricity connection in your house.

• Perry

I Have a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 and i get a little shock when i touch the non painted metal on the back and bottem of my PC. does this mean that i have to get a professonal to come and fix it? Pleas email me back!

possible audo driver reinstall or update
    third party application is causing this annoying problem
    How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

try this microsoft solution

1) right-click the Speaker icon in the system tray and click on Playback Devices.
    2) Under playback right click on Speakers and choose properties
    3) under Advanced Change the Default format to anther one like 24bit 96000Hz (Studio uality) and see if this can help

1) right-click the Speaker icon in the system tray and click on Sounds.
    2) On the Playback tab, click Speakers, and then click Properties.
    3) Click the Enhancements tab, and then select the Disable all enhancements check box.

12. Osama Javaid

It is a new computer. It happens with all USB ports.

13. Jamie VanRaalte

There could be multiple reasons:

1. Too close to something
    2. Volume up too loud
    3. Bad connection

14. Shehan Nirmal

It might the problem in your motherboard or USB ports... try to find a hardware engineer in your area and have a checkup of your motherboard...

15. Dalsan

The wiring inside your computer might be causing interference. I would check to see if the wires are connected properly if possible.