Why does my PC not recognize my external hard drive after I re-installed Windows XP?
Question by surya manohar /

My system crashed and I had to re-install XP. After re-installation my system suddenly failed to recognize the Toshiba External HD I was using. Whenever I connect I get a massage – USB device not recognized. This external HD is working properly with other computers. I tried connecting to all available usb ports. Please help.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , .
Windows Tips
Windows Tips
Windows_10
Windows_10
Raspberry Pi Projects
Raspberry Pi Projects
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Technology Explained
Technology Explained
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Arduino Projects
Arduino Projects
Computer Hardware Talk
Computer Hardware Talk
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple Hardware Discussion

• rohit aggarwal

also can you provide with me a link from where i can download a drivers for windows 7 so that it may read it . i did it once but i forgot the site so pls can u provide me with the link

• rohit aggarwal

my external 1tb seagate hard drive isnt being detected by my copmuter i tried many things like re-installing windows and many more but stil it doesnt read my hard drive. it keeps telling me that you need to format it before you can use it,it aint possible beacuse i cant possibly format my hard drive it has stuff i took months to collect.pls tell what to do and how can i get this problem fixed ?

• bapu randive

My external Hard Disk not detecting in Win XP.
    It is showing in Device Manager but not in My Computer.
    Please reply.

Thanks.

• Truefire_

If it was plugged in during the reainstall, it can cause problems.

Hello, what version of service pack for XP was installed? Have you checked if disk is recognized in device manager? It should at least show as unknown device. Have you checked in Disk Management? To do so, try the following:

— right click on My Computer Icon
    — select Manage
    — in left hand options, click on Disk Management
    — Does the disk show there? Does it have a letter assigned?
    — If it does not have a letter, right click on disk and select Change drive letter and path option and assign a letter to it.

Chances are, there is something wrong your USB drivers. I say this, only because you already told us that drive works in other computers. Try assigning letter if it does not have anything and also make sure to update your drivers.

• Surya Manohar

The disk management does not show this external HD. Only usb keyboard is working properly. No other device is recognized by the system.

go to device manager and locate your external hard drive then right click on it and choose uninstall then reboot Windows.

try this MicrosoftFixit
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/en-us

• Laga Mahesa

There may be insufficient power being supplied to the USB ports. If the drive has as socket for an external power supply, try that – otherwise, try a powered USB hub.

Do other USB devices work as expected? Flash drives, bluetooth adapters, mice, keyboards?

• Oron

I second that. By far the most common reason for the error you’re getting. You can try a different USB socket (some sockets are sometimes provide a little less power than others), and if you have access to to a USB “Y” cable, so much the better (it allows you to draw power from two sockets).

• Dalsan

The first thing you should do is make sure you have Windows XP updated, the driver should be included in SP1, but may be updated in SP2 or 3. If that doesn’t help, then you can go here to see if there is any software to download for your specific hard drive. http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp It shouldn’t need any drivers to download as shown here: http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Drivers-and-Utilities/Is-there-a-driver-for-Toshiba-Portable-Hard-Drive-Part/td-p/211032 but that forum will tell you a way to see if it will become recognized by assigning a different drive letter to the hard drive. Try these first and see if it works, if not, let me know and I will try to find more for you.