Why does my PC get restarted when I have a power outage even with a UPS?

Osama Javaid February 11, 2013

I purchased my PC in January 2012 and I have connected it to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) because I have frequent power outages here. It used to keep running smoothly on UPS whenever the grid was loadshedding (power outage for an hour happening few times a day) and I would at least have time to shut it down properly or keep it running with my monitor off if some download is running.

However now I have noticed it is getting restarted whenever power outage occurs and I lose my work whenever this occurs. This has only been happening for 2 days… can anyone tell me a reason and a solution?

1. Prashant Mirjankar

If you are working with Windows Xp better check the services if UPS service is running and is in automatic run mode. Windows Vista, 7 and 8 does have that service. To check the service
    right click my computer------> manage ------> services and applications -----> services
    Browse for Uninterrupted Power Supply service
    Double click UPS service click on start and then put select automatic in runmode..

Hope you find this helpful

2. Vijay Pereira

If without UPS it is working normally then the problem is with the UPS
    or check your microprocessor and the fan..
    use a thearmal coat..
    pc restarts mostly due to overheating of processor.. try it.!! :)

3. Vijay Pereira

use a thearmal coat..

4. Imesh Chandrasiri

The load which you PC requires is not supplied by the UPS. The common reason for this issue is the battery must be dying. You have mentioned that you use the UPS for over a year now. please check for the out put load of the UPS and the load required from your PC. if the UPS is unable to supply the necessary load it will switch off immediately.

5. Nevzat Akkaya

your UPS's battery cells might be empty, at their End Of Life state. This has happened to ours lately. Time for service.

6. Âdil Farôôq

May be your batteries life is finished try to change your batteries. or the problem might be in your power supply.

7. salim benhouhou

is your UPS charged ? because sometimes when it's not charged well it can't supply your PC with power

8. Vipul Jain

Well this has happened to me and IMO, the problem is definitely the UPS.
    It's battery needs to be changed. Or before that try checking the fuse on the UPS, due to several outages, it might have been burnt out.
    It should be a red screw on the back that can be easily opened.

Since you left out 2 pieces of information, I will lay out all of the options.

First, assuming that it is a standby system and the computer is dropped immediately, your UPS battery is dead (in which case there should have been an alarm from the UPS), the cutover circuitry is not performing properly (switching delay is too long), or the voltage detection circuitry is malfunctioning.

Second, assuming that it is a standby system and the computer remains active for a time first, it would indicate an aging battery which is no longer capable of providing the power required for an extended period of time.

Third, assuming a line-interactive UPS (buck/boost system) and the system is constantly boosting, it may not be charging the battery. If there are frequent brownouts and undervoltage conditions on the incoming line, the system will not be charging the battery. In order to be able to charge, it cannot be boosting the line due to an undervoltage condition since it requires a greater voltage to charge the battery that the voltage of the battery. For example, to charge a 12V battery, it requires a voltage of 13-14V. When a line-interactive UPS is boosting the line voltage, the additional voltage is going to the output, not the battery.

Fourth, assuming a line-interactive UPS and it is not boosting, it would seem to indicate that there are issues with the battery itself not being able to provide the required power during an outage.

Fifth, assuming an online UPS, the issue would be with the batteries since it is isolation system and the output power is always being supplied by the inverter (there is no switchover time and the batteries would immediately assume the full load upon power loss by simply dropping out the rectifier circuit).

In your case, I would assume it is one of the first 4 items in the list, but if your power is that noisy, you should look to using an online UPS instead since it will completely isolate your computer from the noisy line power and eliminate the switching time incurred by the other systems. Although, a ferro-resonant system can also aid in reducing the impact of switching incurred on the less expensive UPS systems as well.

10. Wong Wee

Does your UPS come with any software that can interface with the UPS?
    Something like PowerChute for APC UPS.

There should be some diagnostics you can perform on the UPS to determine if there are any problems with the UPS.

A quick google shows that it's either:
    1) UPS battery is faulty and requires replacement
    2) Your power grid is experiencing brownouts (dip in voltage that is below your PC's operating voltage but above your UPS cutoff voltage)
    3) Your PSU is faulty and cannot handle the cutover properly

Does your UPS work properly when you cut the power manually? (ie, you switch off power to the UPS/PC)

• arjun

i have experienced the very same problem and my ups is working properly when you cut the power manually...bt not at powercut...why ds happen????

11. Aska Nag

Hi!
    Maybe the problem is in the output of the failure of the UPS battery, if there is a possibility to try another UPS to test this version.
    Best regards!

With that much use the battery in the UPS may have failed since tha only have a life expectancy of 3 years max. I don,t think its a good idea to keep running your computer on the UPS as its only ment to give you time to save your work and safely shut down the computer when outage lasts more than a few minutes. Have the battery tested to see if it charges properly. Replacements cost about the same as a new UPS.

It seems that your capacity of UPS is lowered and needs to be recharged for upto minimum 8 hours or more depending upon its capacity.If you use it extended for long time(as you mentioned "keep it running with my monitor off if some download is running") then it needs to be recharged for that long time.

• Osama Javaid

u didnt get my question

I did got to understand your answer.I also have experienced the same issue.You PC gets restarted when there's more load or less battery power on UPS.

So,the first thing you can do is to charge it for 8 hours.

14. Jan Fritsch

Given that it worked before I would assume that simply put your battery and UPS has aged.

Depending on the type of UPS it does take a certain time (delay) to switch from the power line to the backup battery. Over time and usage that delay will increase duo to aging. So most likely it has reached a point where it doesn't switch fast enough to keep your system running.

The other option is a dead or overloaded battery. If the battery cannot supply enough power for all connected devices it will obviously cause them to lose power too.

15. fritz Richard

Maybe there's some cleaning to do on your UPS. Have you tried cleaning it? If not, you can do that by a blower/vacuum cleaner.

• Osama Javaid

Unsatisfactory answer

• fritz Richard

Have you tried it? I hope you try it first. Clean the inside of your PC especially the power supply. Open up the PC, reseat everything--memory, processor, video card, etc. So your PC will be refreshed. Overheating is mostly the cause why the PC restarts. Worse scenario is you have to replace your power supply. There can also have settings for the UPS to tell it to opt in sooner. Otherwise, you should probably replace the UPS with one that have a more reliable trigger. Power surges can damage UPS.

try to reset cmos battery, remove ram clean them and see if it will correct your problem. If not perhaps to update/flash BIOS...

The load of electricity that your pc needs is not being supplied by the ups. heavy electronics like tv, pc, etc. need a lot of power. or it happens due to the changing of electricity supply in the ups.

• Osama Javaid

but it was running fine for over a year