Why does my on-board sound have static in it, and get worse as length between reboot increases?

Fritz B July 31, 2013

Symptom/issue: On-board sound is often
static-y and distorted which grows worse as
the length of time between reboots
increases. Installed a sound card (Diamond),
then pulled it when no improvement was
noted.

Asus moboard 8gb ram, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit –
sound in hardware profiles says Hi Def audio
device listed first, then Realtek Hi Def Audio listed second.

In Device Manager only the Realtek Hi Def Audio is listed.

Can I delete the first listing in Hardware
Profiles which is Hi Def audio device? Could
the 2 ‘devices’ be conflicting with each
other?

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/en-us

Automatically diagnose and fix Windows audio
    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/AudioPlayback/

Internal sound card (integrated onto the mobo or in an expansion slot) are very susceptible to interference, and there is plenty to cause interference within the PC's case -- power supply, fans, hard disc, and of course the electronics! It could be that one or more of those components is speeding up (e.g. a fan) and this is causing increased interference, or that the rising temperature affects an electronic component (e.g. a capacitor) which can also change the nature of the interference. If Jan's suggestions don't bring the static sufficiently under control, I suggest you get an external USB sound card (even a cheap plug-in adaptor, if you don't need high quality sound) and use that instead. USB adapters live outside the electrically-noisy environment that is the PC, and they run on DC, so no interference there!

The "unknown" high def audio device may actually be from your graphics card. If it has an HDMI output the driver will install said audio device to transfer audio via HDMI e.g. to a TV.

Usually static is simply matter of source, connection and levels. If your sound level in Windows is very high than you are likely to have static on your phones, speakers or whatever. Sames goes for the speakers or headphones volume if it's internals or not of best quality.

I usually start by setting Windows volume to minimum and the speakers/headphones volume (if it has it's own) to maximum. This will already tell you if your speakers need to be turned down to prevent static or if they can actually support that level. Once you have no static at the speakers without any input/output you can start adjusting the Windows volume.

This is mostly a preference things ~ there will surely be people who do it the other way around. The method I use is aimed to adjust volume using Windows as ~ which is because I have volume keys on my keyboard. If you prefer changing volume using the leveler on the speakers or headphones do it the other way around.

You said you installed a sound card ~ sorry for being blunt but did you also connect your headphones or speakers to the sound cards output? Otherwise you would have still been using the onboard sound.

Also, if static grows over time have you tried unplugging/un-powering your speakers or headphones and then re-plugging. It could also be a hardware issue on their end.