Why does my new Nokia Lumia 610 only have 6GB free out of 8GB total space?

Surendra Ghanta March 14, 2013

I’ve got a Nokia Lumia 610 upgraded to Windows 7.8. Nokia claims it is an 8GB phone but when you connect to Zune it shows only 6.09GB out of which major chunk (almost 3.5GB in my case) has been occupied by “other content”. This is pretty annoying because I’m not left with space to load my content.

I have tried deleting the cookies from IE and softwares like storage shrink but not much of use. Anyone got any ideas?

1. Sharat

it does happen with every phone and computer..but i want to know..suppose i hav iphone 32 gb..i get 28 gb free but if i get iphone 8 gb i get 6.2 g free..
    iOS should take same amount of space in both cases but 32 gb one takes 4 gb space and 8 gb one takes 2 gb of space..why so??

2. Anish P

Generally, not all of the advertised space is made available to the user mainly because the OS needs to be saved on to the phone as well. If the 'other' gets bigger over time, it could be cached mail that you have saved on your phone, which you could remove by removing and re-adding the e-mail account(s) onto the phone.

3. Laura Sullivan

system files. it's the same as my 32g iphone only having 28g free. the system files take up space in your storage.

4. Louis Segal

It happens with every phone! The operating system (the software you use to make your phone run) takes up around 2GB of space!

;)

same mentioned here
    http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=g3p7Y2oepFU

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/13/nokia-lumia-610-review/
    only 6.21GB available for user

you can't get the remaining 8-6.21GB, it is for the operating system and also recovery partition for updating system or hard reset...

6. DalSan M

As Nathan stated, the operating system files take up most of the lost storage space along with the carrier bloatware. The MS Surface tablets are even worse, though some of it has been fixed, but still is a huge hog of storage. When they first came out, 32GB devices had virtually half of the storage space taken up by the operating system, making it essentially a 16GB device. This is normal.

7. Chinmay Sarupria

The space has been taken up by operating system. If you have a desktop or laptop you may have noticed that the drive in which os is installed is not completely empty. If you install windows on your laptop or dekstop then it will take almost 10 gb space.

• Alan Wade

I dont understand that, can you explain a little better?
      Especially the bit about if you INSTALL an operating system onto a drive, then the drive is NOT empty!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Chinmay Sarupria

Suppose you recently bought a laptop with 500 GB hard disk with Windows 7 installed then you won't get all 500 GB space. 10 GB space will be taken up by the Operating System. So what i want to tell that whichever device or laptop or dektop you buy you won't get all the hard disk space. Currently i am having iPhone 5 16 GB, when i bought it, free space was only 13GB.

8. Nathan Piercy

The reason some of the space is taken up by "Other content" is because the device's Operating System takes up some space. Depending on what Operating System the devices runs, it can be only a small amount of space or even more than 2 GB. This occurs on all computers and mobile devices.