Why does my monitor sometimes go blank?

harley April 21, 2013

Dual monitors. The last couple of days when I wake my computer my one monitor comes up blank, sort of white with very light colours, the second monitor is fine. I have checked connections, restarted, turned the monitor off and then on again, refreshed, changed the wallpaper and also tried system restore. It will come on again but not from always from the same method. Is it time for a new one or is there a fix I haven’t thought of?

1. harley

Thanks for all the tips. As it turns out, it is the monitor itself, time to get a new one! I only wish it had been the smaller one that died.

if you would like to close the thread as solved, just choose the best answer from your makeuseof account. Good luck with the new monitor:)

• Jim Chambers

Since you have nothing to lose, try opening it up and check for loose connections, bad solder joints and swollen capacitors. The last two are common problems with LCD monitors of this vintage and are fairly easy to fix.

Start with the easy stuff to check.
    First, swap over the cables which would prove or dis-prove the cables. Next, swap over the ports that they are connected to - Make Monitor 1 into monitor 2 is what I mean and see if that makes a difference.
    If the same monitor has the same problem then you have your answer, the monitor is on the way out.

3. yudics

check your display setting, if nothing wrong, then check your monitor, use a single monitor with your error monitor (blank) first, if the monitor is still blank, maybe the problem is from your monitor, replace then.

4. arru sci

There might be many reasons why it happens.
    1. The display drivers might have failed to respond and will normally respond in a few seconds or minutes.
    2. The connections internally on the monitor may be loose.
    3. The monitor might not be supporting the screen resolution set and thus it goes blank.
    4. Or just the monitor must be too old to use and needs a replacement.

I'm assuming its an LCD monitor. It sounds like the monitor is failing. How old is this monitor? You could try a different VGA or DVI cable.

• harley

Yes, LCD and it is discontinued and I believe old, I have had it for a couple of years and it was given to me second hand, will try the cable fix, thank you.

6. Erlis Dhima

Since you mentioned the fact that after the system restore the monitor was working fine for a moment, I would assume it's a driver problem! Try to clean uninstall the video card driver, and install the one you find at your computer model web page, or download the lasted version from the official website of your video card model. (Sometimes it happens that the latest version its not so compatible with your video card but, better try it! )

• harley

Thank you, will try these fixes.

is it the monitor 1 hooked to the motherboard port if yes should be on the video card

try swapping the two monitors to see if the problem stays with the original monitor,

Check the refresh rate of the monitor change it from 60 htz to 75 htz.

it can be also driver problems, update monitor and graphic card drivers or reinstall them even they are latest versions.

How to Troubleshoot Multiple Monitors Not Working
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6145407_troubleshoot-multiple-monitors-not-working.html

you can try DisplayFusion,
    http://www.displayfusion.com/Compare/
    perhaps it can help just by installing it

• harley

Thank you, will try these fixes.