Why does my laptop suddenly turn off by itself?

Erlis Dhima December 15, 2012

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo pi 2512, and recently it has a problem. When I turn it on, the screen lights blinks and after some minutes it turns of by itself!

I applied the thermal paste on the CPU and graphics card. But it seems that the problem is not there. Also, when I remove the battery, it doesn’t get energy even if plugged in!

Could the problem be from a hardware issue or does it have anything to do with Windows?

Please, if you can help me, comment below! Thanks in advance!

1. Md Nur-Un-Nabi

1) Mate check out the temperature of the system using HM Monitor .....if the temperature of the processor is high try to clean the system..

2) try to reconnect the connections wire..& again place the RAM in the RAM slot...
    3) If the problem persists then re-install the OS...
    4) If problem continues then take it to a repair shop...

2. Ahmed Musani

Monitor your temperature. its most likely due to overheating.

Sounds like overheating. But might be the issue of the battery as well. Try with another battery if you have one in handy.

• Erlis Dhima

Trying with another battery is an option.. But I will try some other option too, before finding a battery to try! Thanks for your suggestion!

4. siddharth singh

it could be a problem with the GPU. even i had the same problem with my xps m1530 had to replace the GPU.

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks for your suggestion. I hope it has to do with windows.. Since hardware need to be replaced.... And money for new parts will be needed!

5. luis donis

Several factors may be very hot because it may be the hard drive or the RAM can be several things

6. Alex Perkins

Try taking the HDD out and running it on another computer at least then you can rule out the OS being corrupt.

7. Duy Nguyen Minh

That is caused by dust sometimes.

try to boot on windows cd or live cd and see you have a desktop.this to check if windows is corrupted.

perhaps you will need restore factory settings.

• Erlis Dhima

Probably! I will try it! Thanks for your suggestion!

• Erlis Dhima

Thanks everyone, for your comments! A lot of you suggested that it was from overheat from dust or from thermal paste... If it was from that, than the problem would be solved by now! I've repaired other laptops, and I could say, the paste was not applied bad.. So, probably it's from the ac adapter or even windows.. I will try all the options you suggested and see if the problem is solved! Thanks again!

Laptop power connectors tend to develop bad solder joints to motherboard because of constant plugging and unplugging AC adapter.

10. Âdil Farôôq

I also think the same it may because of over heating

Hardware issue. Probably dust. Maybe charger. You should take it to the repairman. You can do bad things yourself if you are not experienced enough.

12. Abba Jee

Normally this problem occur in laptops because of overheating but the problem you mentioned up there "when I remove the battery, it doesn’t get energy even if plugged in!" is a bit strange

13. Shankar C

may be fault in the motherboard.

is the bios loaded ?
    if not it may be problem in mother board.
    try resetting the bios jumper

14. Saurav Azad

there might be some heating problem better check with some technician to se whether it has some other hardware issues . it dont think windows has to do anything with the problem .

15. Sachin Kanchan

you said - "When I turn it on, the screen lights blinks and after some minutes it turns of by itself! "
    ~ As many others mentioned the problem may be due to settled dust in componentrs causing it to overheat.

" when I remove the battery, it doesn’t get energy even if plugged in! "
    ~ May be the charger has some difficulty or problem, if your charger is contituted of two wires make sure that the connection is not faulty.
    ~ Or else consult customer care or service center, you may have to replace your battery.

16. Manuel Guillermo López Buenfil

Applying thermal paste does not guarantee that your components will not overheat. I know by experience that applying it incorrectly can also increase the temperature a lot. You should check your actual temperature, there are a lot of programs to do that, an example is Speccy.

17. Paul Pruitt

Yeah, maybe overheating. That is caused by dust sometimes. Try blowing out your motherboard and fan with compressed air.

Make sure your fan is working, that could be the issue too...

18. James Maciel

My best guess would be that the laptop is overheating and shutting down to save the components.