Why does my laptop shut down after 20 minutes whenever I watch Netflix?
Question by annw1958 /

Whenever I watch Netflix, after about 20 minutes, my laptop just shuts off. No indication that tells me that it’s going to power down.

My setting are set that the computer stays powered up for hours, no limits before turning off. Any idea what is going on? I have checked all my settings and nothing tells it to shut down after any amount of time.

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• David White

I would agree your laptop is overheating. Download the free program Core Temp; a small program to monitor processor temperatures. Run it while on Netflix and watch your chip core temps.

• Anish Parameshwaran

Perhaps is your computer overheating due to the netflix load. It runs on silverlight, which is almost as inefficient as flash when compared to HTML 5, so this does seem to get the fans going and may also heat up the computer to a point where it has to shut down.

• Indronil Mondal

check out that its not over heating

• unknown69

Sounds like somebody will need to clean the fan.

Hello, does this happen with laptop is plugged/unplugged? When computers shut down like that, most times it is caused by overheating.

• Newell Fisk

You probably have it set to do that in the settings

• Thomas Milham

I would say that it could be the video card is getting to hot for the laptop cooling and when it reaches the threshold, it will shutdown to avoid damage. Try cleaning your laptop (or take it to the local repair shop)

• Obed Cutaran

In chase your laptop have a low specs and you are watch HD videos in Netflix, you video card heats up to a certain point and it automatically shuts down in order to protect the board for not getting burnt.

• Nevzat Akkaya

If it always occurs at 20 min, then it’s related to sleep/hibernate settings I think. Go to advanced power settings.

• Junil Maharjan

I think there is a heating problem with your laptop. when watching movies or playing games, laptops and pcs heat more than when you are using it for typing or internet browsing. So it shuts down to protect itself from too much heat. get a laptop cooler and do not put it over clothes or mattresses when in use.