Why does my laptop restart if I try to charge it while playing a game?

December 4, 2013

Basically when I play games such as Portal on steam, the exact time that I plug my charger into the computer it blue screen restarts or sometimes the program just crashes or whatever. In order to play I run out my battery and wait till it is full again to play more.

1. Cfann

It will also say unexpected kernel mode trap. And I tried uninstalling the battery thing but that didn't work and I haven't been able to find updates for my computer,

• Jan F

make sure that automatic reboot is off:
      1. open up the Windows search and type "view advanced"
      2. click on the result"view advanced system settings"
      3. click on the Advanced tab
      4. click on "Settings" where it says "Startup and Recovery"
      5. uncheck "Automatically restart"
      6. reboot for the settings to take effect

Next time your system encounters a serious error it should stop on the Blue Screen.
      Make sure to note down:
      - the error name (all CAPS message)
      - the STOP code (e.g. "STOP: 0x00000001")
      - any file associated with the error, listed at the bottom

Once you report back with this information we may be able to narrow down what the problem is.

2. Cfann

It goes to a blue screen and says driver verifier dectected violation

have you tried to reinstall nvidia driver, or roll back to earlier version if the latest one do not work as expected?

3. Cfann

Ya I have NVIDIA, it also happens when it is plugged in by the way, not only when I plug it in during play.

Does your computer have an integrated graphics solution or a dedicated graphic chipset? Does it use any "switching" technology like NVIDIA Optimus or something like that?

What most current multimedia & gaming laptops do is when running on battery power they disabled the discrete graphics card and as soon as you plug it into the power outlet reactivate it or go into a hybrid mode where it switches based on demand.

That would be my guess next to a faulty battery or charging circuit. Troubleshooting this would start by getting the latest updates for your operating system and driver for the graphics card.

1) Go To device Manager
    2) Expand the Batteries category
    3) right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall (do not delete)
    4) Reboot

6. Cfann

Only when my charger is plugged in. I tried messing with the power options but nothing worked

7. Colin

I have tried messing with the power settings but nothing worked. Only when I plug in the charger does it happen

8. Matt S

Sounds like a power supply issue. Does this occur both when the battery is installed, and when it is not?