Why does my laptop only work when it is plugged in although it is fully charged?
Question by kalyan raman /

My laptop (COMPAQ) will shut down as soon as it is unplugged, even though it is fully-charged. And it will not switch on unless it is plugged.

I thought it would be due to overheating and started using an external cooler, but still the same thing is repeated.

Can anyone suggest me to fix this problem?

• null

thank u guys for ur suggestions……i’l surely try them :) :D

Fix power consumption problems and extend the laptop battery life

• sakthi vel

I think your laptop battery is gone.Try new one.

• justinpot

People are saying definitive things here without definitive information. I’m not going to do that, but I do suspect the problem is your battery – sounds like it’s shot. It’s been almost three years since any laptop was sold under the Compaq brand, so I suspect that’s the case.

But, as I said, I don’t have enough information to say definitively – it could well be a power management problem. Try turning on the computer and following the instructions to enter set up. Then leave the computer on until the battery dies completely. After this, charge it and see if that helped. Best of luck.

That was the reason I suggested him to take it to the nearest HP customer care outlet and got negatively dinged. :D But the good thing is that people have started believing that they will get all their resolutions at MOU answers. :)

• Harshit J

There is nothing wrong with the laptop, battery, or computer, it is a power management setting. If you go to display properties, select the screen saver tab, then click the “power” button, in the power schemes field is a drop down window, click on it and select “Rixane Power Scheme”, it is a power switching utility that quickly switches between AC and Battery when the power cable/charger is plugged in or unplugged while the laptop is on. If you have it set to “always on” it will shut off when you pull the power cord, even if the battery is charged. This will also happen on many non-HP laptops, if you don’t have a HP laptop or there is not a “Rixane” option available, select the “Portable/Laptop” power scheme. Hope this helps!

• Yiz Borol

I’ve had a similar issue, has your computer been near water recently?

If your laptop is still under warranty give HP a call (because HP owns the COMPAQ brand and makes all their products) otherwise,

It may be that the battery is no longer really holding a charge, no matter what the computer claims, in this case you’d need to purchase a new battery you can buy one from the OEM (in this case HP) which will probably cost around $120 or purchase a “chinese equivalent” on ebay for less than $40.

try to reset cmos battery also check if there is update for BIOS, you can also do the factory settings (first do backup of files since all will be erased and windows will be reinstalled).

Would highly recommend you to take it to the nearest HP customer care outlet for a quick resolution.

• Mike D

Your battery could be your problem which or change it out.