Why does my laptop make a “ping” noise even though it’s on mute?

Steven Nesbitt April 7, 2013

I’m running Windows 7 and for some strange reason my laptop has lately started to make a constant ‘ping’ noise. The noise is exactly the same as when you change the volume up or down on windows 7 only this song is constantly repeating every 10 seconds or so even when the volume is muted. It’s starting to drive me insane, can any help with this?

1. Konrad Schmidt

In my case, I hear this sonar sound out of the speaker only when I am browsing at the Yahoo web page on Google Chrome. It happen randomly and disappear only when I close the Yahoo page. I am sure this is not a matter of hardware.

• William James

I hear that sound too only with Chrome, days ago was a creepy sound of a laughing baby, did you solve the problem?

2. Alan Reyes

It can be the "system bell" (that is independent of the volume settings, as is an integral part of the motherboard).

The "system bell" sounds when there is some hardware problem, (in some computers it even sounds at startup to indicate the computer is being turned on)

Different timing between beeps can mean different things, you must find your computer's manual (or the motherboard one) to find what is the meaning of that pattern of sounds you hear

3. vishal

nice question so what to do it is making ping noice continuously or at once time

4. vishal

because ur battery is low so it is making noice

5. vishal

I think Alan makes a good point. First of all, confirm that the sound is coming out of the same loudspeakers that play other sounds, as some PCs have a separate transducer (or tiny loudspeaker) for "beeps" only. If it comes out of the normal loudspeakers, then check the system volume settings, but if the sound is coming from the transducer then it may indicate a hardware problem. In this case, run "health checks" on your PC (there are plenty of packages that will do this for you, have a look in download.com) and see what turns up. Good luck!

First, I think you need to discover just what is making the sound. Does it make the sound when you are on your desktop and doing nothing or is it when you are actually doing something that ypou get the sound.
    To be honest, I would be more concerned about finding the source of the sound then figuring out why it isnt muted.

8. Chris Marcoe

To go one step further from what HA145 said, if you have a sound card and it is mute, it might not actually mute the system sounds. Check there to see if it will turn it off.

9. Marek S?owikowski

At first, check if you have installed all Windows updates. Second, look at computer vendor for newest sound card drivers. Third - try to play with Windows events sound schemes. Next, try to selectively switch off autosdtart programs. In search window of menu type "msconfig" without quotes. After program run select "Autostart" tab (maybe somethins similar, I am using Linux). Deselect suspicious programs and restart system.
    And so on. If nothing can help, turn to computer service.

do you have any sound card, perhaps to check that

11. Alyshia Gordon

If you are for sure certain that you have your volume down, I'd say go into your control panel and go to hardware and sounds and click on adjust system volume just to make sure all volume is down... If it is still messing up after that, then restart your computer.