Why does my laptop freeze when I try to wake it up from Suspend?

Zhong Jiang November 26, 2012

The story goes something like this, my laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6 3000 with Radeon HD4200 series running Debian 6.0.6, on kernel 3.2.bpo, so I hit the suspend button and the screen begin dimming until the system became quiet. Tiny light blinking on and off, after 30 minutes or so, I press any key on the machine and it whirs to life however the power light is on with Network Button red. The screen is black and nothing can be done with the keyboard or touchpad. So by holding power button the machine powers off, press it again, the same result: except caplock button lit. When ejecting the battery, it performs a hard shutdown and restarts normally.

Hibernation is a different story though since I haven’t tested for this a duration of time, it works. Suspending is effective when you immediately tried to turn it on shortly afterwards. The pm-suspend log reveal nothing in particular except that it have successfully resumed.

If anybody have experience this type of behavior and found a solution, please leave your comments below.

1. Abba Jee

sounds like debian is unable to wakeup form sleep mode did you try another OS on your laptop or used virtual box? i don't think so its a hardware problem beside this i guess it concerns to software/OS maybe a bug

Black Screen Upon Waking
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=99447

try to update video card driver

• Zhong Jiang

Yes, I have visited the forum multiple times before posting this question. Sorry to tell ya, but the system is frozen when it woke from suspend and the post doesn't illustrate a method to resolve a machine not responding after resuming from suspend.

Updating a video card isn't an acceptable action.

how about to roll back kernel?

• Zhong Jiang

I don't think it's a good idea. Changing the system state isn't what I'm pursuing. Debian only comes with 2.6.32 by default, with backport for 3.2. Since my radeon power management suffers under its default kernel install, I cannot afford to move back.

3. Adrian Rea

Linux has had problems in the past with waking from suspend, sleep and hibernate. I would check the screen is activated, either with a second screen or pressing the switch monitor button

• Zhong Jiang

I'm not sure what you're referring to. There's no second monitor connected through my laptop.