Why does my laptop fan run while the machine is idle?

N K August 30, 2013

It is a very strange thing that my recently purchased laptop HP Pavilion 15 e001ax runs its fan only when it is idle making a loud noise. The moment I touch any key, within seconds fan’s noise subsides.  It seems that whenever it is idle something runs in background but what exactly is the reason?  I even tried to find out by launching task manager but the fan noise stops with the launching of task manager.  Can any one help me to stop this irritating problem and give explanation for the same?  Is this harmful for the laptop?
Following are the main config:
AMD A10 Quad Core processor 5750 – 2.5GHz
Radeon Dual Graphics
RAM 8GB
OS – Windows8

Thanks in advance.
-Kumar

1. Madhurjya S

This might be a malware. Run a full scan with a good anti-malware program like Malwarebytes(Link:http://www.malwarebytes.org/). Even if it doesn't work, record your screen with a video recording software and open the task manager. Some malware hides themselves just after you open the task manager. To monitor and find the malicious process you need to record your laptop's screen. See the recording for any suspicious program which closes just after your open the task manager.

you can try BIOS update, reset CMOS battery

it can be screensaver problem, disable it

Windows 8 clean boot
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

• N Kumar

Thanks Hovsep, i will try your 'fixit' solution if the problem remains. In fact i am not very familiar with BIOS settings and fear touching the same.

let us know if your problem is solved, it will be interesting to find the culprit.

Launch Task Manager, switch to the processes tab, make sure you are seeing processes from all users and sort on the CPU column. Wait until the system goes to an idle state again. You will probably see at least one process (besides the System Idle Process) rise to the top of the list (most likely an anit-virus or anti-malware program scanning the system while you aren't actively using it). When more CPU cycles are being consumed by a process other than the Sytem Idle Process, it will generate more heat and the fan will need to spin faster to dissipate the heat. If this process is not necessary, disabling it will stop (or reduce) the speed-up of the fan and thus reduce the noise.

• N Kumar

Thanks Bruce, i did as per your guidance and found that 'Windows Modules Installer' is the culprit. 37% to 49% of the CPU was being used by 'Windows Modules Installer' that time and RAM also was being used extensively. Is WMI really required to run at this speed and hog so much memory of RAM? Is this normal and okay? I don't think it is normal. During my search for the solution for this problem, elsewhere i read that WMI gets installed during automatic update and there were quite a number of victims of it. Is WMI really required and essential?

There is exactly a similar case in http://windowssecrets.com. Update KB2821895 has been indicated as the cause for this problem. Somebody has suggested to use System Restore to get rid of this problem .I want your opinion as well. I, personally, am not in favor of using System Restore for this.In that case how to uninstall or delete the same without any negative impact to the machine?

Please let me know your views on this and solution to fix it.

Thanks again.

-N Kumar

Windows Modules Installer is the component that checks for the applicability of Windows Updates and provides the means to install or remove them, as well as installing or removing other Windows optional components, thus it is required for proper operation of the system.

Check this Microsoft KB article for details and a solution. You should check your update history to ensure that the update KB2771431 has been installed. Since you are seeing this problem, it probably has not been installed. Once installed, your reported problem should be greatly reduced (you will probably have some periods of time that the fan speeds up due to an update check or install, but it should be a much shorter time span before the fan slows down again).