Why does my laptop display driver stop working when I play Black Ops 2 or Medal Of Honor?

Suvadeep Paul February 17, 2013

Product Name: HP Pavilion DV6-6165TX Entertainment Notebook PC

Operating System installed: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64 Bit)
Error message: Display Driver Has Stopped Responding and has Recovered
Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM @ 2.20 GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333 MHZ
Graphics Card: Switchable Graphics – Intel HD 3000 + ATI HD 6770M 2GB DDR5
HDD: 750 GB

I am facing a problem when I play games specially Call of Duty Black Ops 2 or Medal of Honor Warfighter. What is happening is, after 15-20 mins of gameplay the game freezes specially during the videos in between two missions and then nothing works and automatically the games closes and come back to desktop screen. Here I can see the error on the task bar right hand side mentioning “Display Driver Has Stopped Responding and has Recovered”.

I have updated the graphics driver to its latest version that is 8.882.2.3000. Still it doesn’t work.

I have formatted my laptop and updated everything from windows update till HP’s recommended ones. Still I face the same problem.

Is there any solution? Please help me. I have tried to install the latest Catalyst Driver version 13.1, but still it doesn’t work. The main problem happens after completing one mission and when the automatic video starts up for the next mission. The game works completely fine during the mission (which means when I am actually playing).

1. Tanveer Ahmed

Try following method it worked for a friend of mine
    \

Right-click an empty place on the desktop and select configure switchable graphics.

Take the tick mark out of the box that says "Automatically select power-saving GPU when on battery".

Select the High Performance GPU and then click on apply at the bottom right side of the window.

Now you should see the High Performance GPU as the current graphics processing unit in the Switchable Graphics Status.

• Suvadeep Paul

@Tanveer Ahmed:
      Yes its done..I have changed it from BIOS setup. Dynamic option is for automatic detection and Fixed is for manual setup. I have selected Fixed. And when I play I always select the High Performance GPU and automatic GPU selection is unchecked.

• Suvadeep Paul

@Tanveer Ahmed: Okay..I'll give it a try..

2. Alan Reyes

Try if the same happens when you have your laptop connected with the charger, because it can be happenning because the graphic card has not enough power to keep the load.

(It happens to me with games and videos on a Dell Studio with and ATI Radeon graphic card, but only when not connected to power)

• Suvadeep Paul

@Alan Reyes:
      No..It happens with charging on and off as well..Generally I play games with charging on so that the power supply is good.

3. Sudharshan Titan

Download the latest driver and try again ...if Beta available try to install tat too ....that will work .

go to CAN I RUNCall of Duty: Black Ops 2
    http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3685&game=Call%20of%20Duty:%20Black%20Ops%202
    add your configuration see the result

perhaps is because screen resolution use smaller one.

control panel -> admin tools -> event viewer, see the message

perhaps this can help
    http://www.lightchan.com/fix-medal-of-honor-warfighter-black-screen-crashes-and-freezes/

• Suvadeep Paul

@ha14:
      Yes I definitely can run COB Black Ops 2. I have checked. The problem mentioned in http://www.lightchan.com is not exactly same as mine. In COD the game freezes in cut scene. This happened sometime in MOH but mainly the game hangs after breeching the doors. After the breeching is done I can kill the enemy inside and then immediately the game hangs. I was checking with the AMD technical guys and think it is related to Timeout Detection and Recovery and registry value needs to be adjusted. Its on trial and error now will post if I get a permanent solution.

• Suvadeep Paul

@Sudharshan Titan:
      I have installed the latest driver (version:8.882.2.3000). This laptop has switchable graphics. Therefore I cannot installed standalone version of drivers directly from AMD or Intel. It is not compatible. I have to depend on HP to come with a new driver and I don't think HP will do it because the latest driver from HP was released on 2011-11-18. Its already more than an year they have updated the drivers. Horrible company and will never buy any HP product in my future. Also won't recommend anyone else to buy and waste their hard earned money.