Why does my Internet Service Provider seem to gradually decrease my Internet speed?

Kyem G November 27, 2013

I had already posted queries on setting up wifi router to local cable ISP and again having a problem after configuring TP LINK MR3020 to Alliance broadband (Kolkata) providing me a static IP. Well I could configure the router and was getting access to the login page and also could browse with full desired speed for an hour or two but after that the speed gradually got decreased. I have tested the same with my previous router TP LINK WR740N and it had the exact same problem and so I sold it out. Now with this mini router TP Link MR3020, I have tested with another ISP but there it worked properly. What may be the problem as I know I did the configuration right. Also I tried with changing the MTU size from 1500 to 1480 and 1460. Please help me out. Is the ISP doing such mischief or is there any further configuration that should be done??

Although,you might find this strange,but if you go and see some of the reviews in Flipkart about TP-Link routers,they say that they had issues with configuring MTU while setting up connection.

May be you can do something in it to optimize it to work your internet properly.

2. Emmanuel F.

I also wanted to add something regarding the truth about ISPs

Residential Internet service has more problems than Business class Internet service. 90 of percent ISP customer complaints is from residential customers. If you could afford it, I'd always go with business class Internet. You can't compare business class Internet to residential Internet service. ISP's care more about its business customers than its consumer residential. You have less service down times or close to none, better speed and performance, better customer service, over all better service. If you sign a SLA, you would get your speed you paid for 99.9999 percent of the time. It's far more expensive but with residential service it's like what you get what you paid for.

• Kyem G

Well, I cant afford business class...

You can test the most common ISP throttling on the following page.
    http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/glasnost.php

Other then that it's hard to say.

Does your contract guarantee you the maximum bandwidth, is it best-effort, is it shared bandwidth? Depending on that you may simply be a "victim" of the package you signed up for.

On a best-effort packaged your provider may decrease your speed if it is having a negative impact on other users or they can't sustain an increasing number of users on maximum speed. On shared bandwidth things are even worse: Instead of giving "you" a certain amount of bandwidth the assign a total bandwidth for all users on the line. The more concurrent users are present the less bandwidth each of them gets.

4. Emmanuel F

What is the make and model of your cable modem?
    Is your cable modem docsis 3.0 type or docsis 2.0 type?
    Most ISP's have upgraded its equipment to docsis 3 compatibility which would result speed and compatibility issues if your modem is the old docsis 2.0 type.

To rule out the problem with your wireless router, physical connect your cable modem into your computer via Ethernet cable and test to see if your speed drops or not. Let me know ;)

5. Emmanuel F.

Is your modem docsis 3 type or docsis 2 type? That may have an effect on compatibility. Most cable broadband ISP's have upgraded its equipment to DOCSIS 3. What is the brand of your cable modem?

• Kyem G

Well..Emmanuel, thats not a problem...

I'm not aware what docsis is... Can u please explain and say me how shall I get to know which docsis type is my ISP...

6. Kevin

My ISP was doing something like this when they first set up in the college dorms. I had signed up for the included package at 7Mb/s. Later I paid the extra for a 20Mb/s internet for the semester. For a month, they would force me to log out of their system, would log in, but within 24 hours I would be back down to the 7Mb/s download, but normal uploads. Turns out when I signed up for the upgrade, their RADIUS servers were having some issue or something. After a month, I'm finally consistently at my download speeds. It took some sort of reconfiguration, if I recall correctly, on campus rather than their servers. Anyone who signed up after me didn't have the issue. (Most of the time frame it took was me being too lazy to call in for the xth time).

This goes to say, they may not intentionally be trying to screw you over (but wouldn't surprise me if they were). Sometimes it takes time to sort it out. Needless to say, in my case, since it took so long and whatnot I was reimbursed the entire semesters cost of the plan (another issue that took a couple weeks to resolve ROFL).

It sounds like you've eliminated as much as you can in your home. Perhaps let them know what's going on, and don't allow them to push you off. If I were the ISP, I'd start with the quality of wires going from the building and start walking backward. Then again, I have more attention span than an ISP with hundreds (thousands? millions?) of customers. You mentioned testing multiple routers in different locations to verify router configuration, what about multiple devices in your home? If you don't have more than that, what about different locations? Wired vs Wireless (components quality differ). In my above situation, I even tried multiple OS's (Windows 8 and Ubuntu).

• Kyem G

Oh man!! Same pinch... Well I used to think that this customer care executives are irresponsible just only in India... Bt this problem exists all over the world... Well my ISP provides wired broadband which I want to turn it to wireless such that I can use the same to my iPad and mobiles

7. lightswitchr

As you may or may not know, many ISPs do Traffic Shaping. This essentially reduces the bandwidth, but for certain kinds of internet traffic. It's usually done during peak times: evenings for instance to generally improve internet speeds to everyone, rather than a minority of users downloading GBs of torrents, etc. If the ISP does do traffic shaping, this may be the issue. It may also explain why it worked fine with the other ISP, as they may not do traffic shaping.

If you do have a genuine complaint about your internet speed though, and it appears to be for an unknown reason, contact your ISP - they will be able to either explain why, or troubleshoot the issue.

• Kyem G

Well I'm much aware of this fact and so I switched from mobile 3G to local broadband. And all local ISPs in our locality has got unlimited plans with no speed throttling. I'm aware of that... I can understand that its a problem from the ISP. May be they are restricting packet flow (I don't know much about that). Bt still I neededopinions from you all to get myself sure...