Why does my external hard drive show my folders as empty?

July 10, 2013

When I attach my hard drive to my PC it shows all the folders, but when I click on them it says they can’t be accessed, and when I click on properties for the folder it shows as empty containing 0 bytes. I have a Samsung hard drive, what can I do?

1. Ailsa J

1. Try re-install the USB drive program on computer again;
    2. Take a look which file system the drive is, HFS+, NTFS ? What OS system computer do you own? HFS+ is Mac OS file system, and NTFS is Windows OS file system. Mac computer cannot access the NTFS file system drive, and Windows computer cannot access the HFS+ file system drive.

If it is formatted as an NTFS drive, you may not have permissions to view or access the contents of the folders. Open the Properties page for the drive and check the Security tab. You may need to check the Security tab of the individual folders too.

have you tried on another pc?

they can be hidden to you have to unhide
    1) Go to Start -->Run-->type cmd right click and launch as administrator
    2) if your hard drive letter is G on the cmd black screen Enter this command:
    attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:*.*
    3) check if you see your hard rive

also do scan your pc and external hard drive with your security tool.