Why does my external hard drive show all folders when connected to one PC, but not the other?

Iain Williams February 5, 2013

I have a Hitachi 250gb External Hardrive which I use to transfer files between two machines.For some reason it will show all the folders when connected to one machine, but when I connect it to my other machine most of the folders are not displayed (or accessible). Both machines are Windows 7, and this has only occurred recently. Anyone got any ideas?

1. Quagmire10

I had the same thing happen two days ago, but I figured out why it was happening on my machine. I bought a generic iPhone 5 lightning USB sync cable to connect my phone to my PC. When I plug my iPhone in with that cable, all of a sudden I can no longer see any of the files on my external hard drives. When I disconnect the generic cable, the external hard drives function properly. I don't know if the cable is pulling too much power? So, I am now using a genuine Apple cable with no issues.

I don't know if this applies to you, but just throwing it out there.

thanks for sharing your experience:)

Has Windows and other Microsoft software been updated to current date via Windows Update on both computers?

may be one of your machine has been set to show all hidden folders and files.

on "Start" -->Run-->type cmd and click on OK.
    if your hard drive as G:
    Enter this command: attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*
    Then check if your real files will be shown

then
    Start > Run "cmd"
    type--> diskpart
    type--> list volume
    type--> select volume #
    type--> attributes disk clear readonly
    type--> x:\>attrib -r /s /d (X= hard drive)

Just a thought - on the machine which shows the folders, are they faint? If so, then the folders have been hidden, and one machine is configured to show hidden files (and folders) and the other not to show them.
    You can change the settings on the PC by going into Explorer ("Computer"), choose Organise=>Folder and Search Options, click the "View" tab and tick "Show hidden files, folders and drives".
    You would then need to a) unhide the folders (you can do that via file properties) and b) figure out why they were hidden in the first place, a virus, prank or something else.