Why does my DVD-RW disk hang when I right-click on it to erase failed burning data?

Ghodke November 30, 2012

I just bought a new DVD-RW disk to make Windows XP bootable, but I just started to burn it and it returned with writing error after 80% data writing.

So I have re-inserted disk into DVD drive to erase that data, but it only shows DVD-RW icon instead of how much data I have burned and how much disk is free. As I right-click on DVD drive icon, my Windows Explorer hangs and when I eject it my Windows Explorer performs well.

I have tried my previous DVD-R disks, which work fine without hanging.

Please suggest me a solution. I am using Windows 7
Thanks.

1. Prashant Mirjankar

Your DVD-RW is saying to you that he can't handle it anymore and Its now time for you to get a new one.

2. Paul Pruitt
  3. Shahbaz Amin

I have been using this free site which is awesome, useful for travel guides and general software apps as well as text books!!
    Bookboon.com

4. Shahbaz Amin

Probably cos its still busy? Restart computer and try again?

5. Douglas Mutay

I can understand that you're using Windows built in feature to burn your DVD. If so, I will suggest to install a software to burn your DVD and avoid that kind of error.

6. Qin Tang

Your DVD-RW disk maybe damaged.

7. Arun Singh

your DVD-RW might be corrupted so it hangs. Some time DVD-RW corrupt at first use also.

Did you use the Windows 7 DVD burning software or another DVD Burner. I suggest you install a free DVD burning software such as Ashampoo DVD Free to erase and rewrite your DVD-RW. Try writing at half maximum speed.

perhaps because DVD-RW was not finalized, also probably the DVD-RW is corrupted and no more recoverable so windows xp has difficulty to treat it.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

I think this is what happened. Try using another DVD. If it's working normally, then it means that DVD-RW is screwed.

10. Ali Ehsan

Try that DVD-RW disk in other DVD DRIVES, if it doesn't work it's really not worth your time and effort messing around with it. maybe then you have to throw it away