Why does my display driver keep crashing when watching videos?
Question by Dhrumil Patel /

I have an Acer Aspire 4730Z running Windows 7 32-bit. The problem started a couple days ago out of the blue. I didn’t install any new software or hardware before the problem started.

The display driver will crash and freeze randomly and then recover whenever I try watching a video. Also Shockwave/Flash will crash the same time as the driver does. All my drivers including the display driver are up to date.

This was what I have tried so far to fix the problem:

Using a different web browser, Firefox and Opera both displayed the same problem.
Running anti-malware and scanning my entire laptop for a virus. Nothing was found.
Using lower graphic setting. Driver and flash both still crash.

The only thing I can think of doing is reinstalling the OS. :/ Anyone have any ideas for fixing this?

• Rob

Hello, well you should update your drivers, and if this doesn’t work then downgrade the driver in till you fine that one that does work. So first I had a problem when I watch You tube in HD my screen would get green dots everywhere on the screen and then it would just go black, and say that Windows have recovered driver 306.97. By the way my GPU is an Nvidia GTX 560. What I did was stop windows update from auto downloaded Which stop your computer from auto downloaded the latest video driver, then I went into control panel and uninstalled my driver. I then restarted the computer and then went to Nvidia website, but instead of updating to newest driver which is what Nvidia will try to do if you auto update through them, I manually downloaded the next to newest drive which is 306.23, then restarted again then viola problem solve. Try to remember updating to the newest driver is not always the best and remember if it ain’t broke don’t fix it unless downloading newer driver improves or give you something you really need. If your GPU is is Radeon then do the same thing except go to Radeon site to download the driver.

• Abby

I keep having this same problem but only my display driver crashes. It recovers immediately after but I have to close the browser, open it again, and start the video over. The annoying part is it happens several times in a row. I also have Windows 7 but it’s a Dell Inspiron. I think for now I’m just going to put up with it, I’d rather not play with anything during the school semester when my laptop is so important.

• Random Me

one reason of those crashes is that you may have more than 1 shockwave flash players and that causes conflict between players.
    the only way to fix this problem is to select the latest version of shockwave players and disable the rest.
    you are using chrome so here are the steps
    -type “chrome://plugins” in the address bar
    -if you see that your flash has more than 1 files then you have this problem
    -on the upper right corner of the page, click the “+ details”
    -disable the the flash except for the latest one

• Canadeon

Uninstall your display driver and any software that goes with it (AMD Catalyst software or Nvidia software). Download some drivers for your video card, and extract the files, but do not install the software. manually install them using Device Manager, and selecting the folder you extracted to. Worked for me!

• Callum

It’s funny how I started suffering with the same issue at around the same time but with my Aspire 5732z.

It freezes for like 30secs-2mins and then carries on as if nothing happened.

Kinda sick of it; that’s the reason I’m here now, looking for a last option before I restore to factory settings.

I’ve tried new drivers and everything but nothing works.
    It just keeps telling me my graphics accelerator driver stopped working.

On the brink, have you fixed it? Or did you restore?

• zach

my guess is that it is related to usage of your RAM. when you have a lot of tabs/ windows that are open, this eats up a little more RAM. Playing videos, especially in HD, eats up a lot of that RAM because of the buffer. Perhaps you can try decreasing the number of windows/tabs that are open when you play videos. Alternatively, you can increase the amount of RAM your laptop has onboard (if that option is available to you).

• Sachin Kanchan

as in the comments above already …you can try the steps to reinstall shockwave and flash players…but for the graphics driver… it would be useful maybe if you downloaded the original from the acer’s support site…

you mentioned win-7 32 bit, but is it ultimate or professional or something else

here’s the link :

on the right corner, select your Operating System…and there you go

You repeatedly say that your display driver crashes, so what is the bugcheck? On the blue screen (which you will get if your display driver crashes), there will be a hexadecimal number in the upper left portion of the screen that looks like 0x0000fc34. We need that to diagnose this type of behavior.

One thing you can still try is to go to Device Manager and go to the Properties tab of your display adapter. Click on the Drivers tab, then the Roll Back Driver button to revert to a previous version of your video driver.

• Truefire_

Aspire laptops are infamous for overheating. Try using a laptop fan – if the other suggestions didn’t help

• Kyem Ghosh

why dont you bring out a fresh copy of windows and install it?? There are many corrupted dlls in the installed windows. Well I’ll first recommend to download a fresh set of drivers too (get everything new)…