Why does my Dell Inspiron laptop often not detect my home WiFi network?

Nikhill Sharma February 13, 2013

My laptop does not detect WiFi network at my home most of the time, so I have to use LAN most of the time. However, other system at home works perfectly fine with the WiFi network. But my laptop doesn’t most of the time. My laptop is Dell Inspiron 1525.

1. Sun

Hi Please check driver in device manager if everything done just check wifi turn on -turn off key (F2 key)

2. Darrell Legg

My guess would be a setting in the network & sharing center (assuming you are running W7). Is there a Wi-Fi on/off switch that may have been inadvertently pushed or does it run from an "F" key? My last guess would be a driver issue.

3. Nitesh Badala

sometimes this problem occurs due to wi-fi driver not updated.go to the device manager and check the wi-fi driver if it marked as yellow then updated it by clicking right click on it.
    if problem is not solved then reinstall the driver. still not solved then chek your then you have to change your network private to publik OR home

)))...

4. John Sheldon

update the bios, then update drivers from the official dell website.

A common cause for this is a neighour's router. If the signal from the neighbouring router is strong, your system may try to connect to it in preference to your own routers, and if you don't have the correct settings (password or key, permissions etc) then it will fail. You can fix that by moving your router's position in the WiFi priority list to the top, but the exact details of how to do this vary from one version of Windows to the next, so you'll need to find out for yourself how to do this (or let us know which version of Windows you are using).

go to device manager locate the driver, right click on it and choose uninstall (do not delete) reboot and let windows to reinstall the driver.

you can reset your modem

perhaps it is interference from a neighboring network, so switch your channels to see if it will solve it.

it can be firewall problem disable your firewall and see if it will be fine.

go to your wifi manager remove the account restart laptop and re-establish a new account.

Related to your first point: it could also be an outdated modem driver, so checking with the mfr website for an updated driver is a good idea as well.