Why does my computers say its sound device is in use?

Eduard Deering May 31, 2013

When I started my HP computer this morning and tried to use Microsoft Media Player I got an error saying “No function due to being in use by another sound device.” I’m not using the program, so where’s sound being used? I rebooted my PC, but it didn’t fix it; I run Windows XP Home.

1. Donald S

Check the processes and see what is using it and kill the process or do like ha14 said to do, but you don't have to re-start the machine you can click on the icon that says "check for hardware changes" and it will detect that is was uninstalled and will automatically re-install the drivers. You can also check your startup files and see if you have something starting up after boot that would use the sound. Good luck.

Some video cards have built in audio. Maybe your default audio setting got changed to this rather than regular high definition audio. Check setting in hardware and sound section of control panel

Go to device manager
    Locate audio driver
    Right click on it and choose uninstall do not delete
    Reboot so windows will install the driver
    Now play again windows media player

What programs do you have that automatically start with Windows?