Why does my computer start up very slow?

Zaihan Ahmad November 10, 2012

I have done a scan using my antivirus software, I have cleaned all unwanted stuff using CCleaner, I have cleaned up my desktop, I have stopped a few programs I don’t want, which run during startup, I have deleted any software that I don’t want. But it still is the same.

When I turn on my computer, the startup display is like normal, which as we know first a Windows logo appears, then a ‘Windows starting’ text in a blue background. After that, the screen appears black for almost 20 minutes and after that the desktop appears as normal.

Can you explain why this happens and the solutions to make my computer start up faster and normally?

1. Prashant Mirjankar

Try disabling some unwanted apps to start on boot.
    Defrag your HDD (use perfectdisk) with boot time defrag and online defrag
    use ccleaner and delete the unwanted registry and also the junk files

2. Igor Rizvi?

The best thign you can do right now..is isntall Soluto,then you can customize what programs to startup..what you need and what you dont need...try out disabling some services you dont use..but be carefull..look around the web a little...defrag your harddrive,atleast every 3 weeks if your transfering ,downloading files alot.... maintein your pc like its you pet...

3. Joel Jacob

Quick boot may not be enabled in the boot menu

Hello, most common cause for this other than a virus is too many programs starting with windows. You could try the msconfig command to disable startup options you do not want to start with windows or you could also use ccleaner to disable this entries. Most common entries to disable are quickplayer, itunes, java, adobe, etc.

It is also common for this to happen with older system that do not have a lot of RAM. If your memory is not that much, you can max it and see if that makes a difference.

5. prasad kondaveti

just run your system in safe mode once and see the effect.

6. Md Nur-Un-Nabi Tutul

1) disable all the startup programs....
    2) defragment the hard drive using defraggler..
    3) delete all temporary file by writing temp in the comand prompt.(write cmd in the search option in start menu then open it and write temp)
    4) update the operating system by allowing to update automatically or u can do it manually
    5) repair the windows using the cd in boot menu or install a fresh windows

7. Cindy Lucien

Go to your start menu, type msconfig into the browse bar... go to startup, click on disable all. apply and reboot your computer. This will help your startup speed. This list is all the programs that that startup when you boot your computer and can make it take a long time to boot.... Another problem it could be is your ram. Check to make sure you have enough, running with insufficient ram will also cause slow startup and slow loading of webpages.

8. Muz RC

what is your comp spec?

9. kumar raja

It depends on some problems like without Defragmentation, anti virus problem, some programs enabled on startup

10. atul mahajan

Check the startup programs and disable unimportant ones.
    You can check Startup programs by typing msconfig in search in Start.
    then select Startup tab

11. Abba Jee

hold down windows key and press R
    type msconfig chose the startup tab
    uncheck the programs which your not sure if you installed them your own or by system ( you may try to uncheck them all ) close it reboot your computer
    if still you face same slow pc , then you may need to upgrade your hardware or maybe need to provide the list of your installed programs

12. Austen Gause

here is the MUO article about it hope it helps you http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-make-windows-boot-faster-than-ever-before/

13. N LKX

use your system utility software like advanced system care to do a full scan a clear, clean unwanted stuffs.

14. faisal ghaswala

do 1 thing download tuneup utilities. in this software it has an option of speeding up your startup believe me it worked for me!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Charlie Player

try to uninstall some useless programs..
    thats it for me .. :)

16. ViGi

Malwerebytes. Full scan. Problem solved. Reply after you do this.

17. Rakesh Mishra

the reason is that there will be many apps starting at the time of system startup.so close the software from the registery

18. Daniel Ooi

Sounds like a hardware error, 20 minutes is taking too long for any software error. You should backup and check in your computer to your nearest service center for checking or if you know try changing a hard drive.

Do you have at least 10GB of free space on your boot HDD (C: drive)? Open command window as administrator (enter cmd in search window, right click on cmd.exe and select run as administrator). Enter sfc/scannow to scan and repair system files.

20. dhanunjayarao chunduri

check your graphic card drive if it's not a problem then do clean install of windows 7

21. Andrew Newey

You may be avoiding re-install, but after the investments you have already made and adding the ones below - it may be quicker and deliver better results to backup everything and re-install again mate.

22. Boni Oloff

Try to disable some unused services,and start up program.

23. Aniket Singh

clean ur temp file...use some cleaner....try start up repare.....if this all not work then upgrade it or format it....

24. Dimal Chandrasiri

I think you should run a disk defragmentation. if that does not help, run a disc checking software to check for any corruptions. You've said that, you've done all possible solutions but it's still slow! this myt be a problem with the reading of data from the disk.

25. Saikat Basu

You can also try out a solution like Soluto and see if it comes up with anything. We had reviewed it here - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/supergeek-solutos-version-indepth-invites/

The service's homepage is here - https://www.soluto.com/home

Do you use various anti-virus software?If not,use different anti-virus.If it is still slow follow the steps below:
    1)Open my computer>Right click on the disk or drive(whatever you call)>Uncheck or Untick the 'Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties.
    2)Again right click on the drive>Choose TOOLS on the taskbar and DEFRAGMENT your files in the drive
    3)Right click on MY COMPUTER and click PROPERTIES and choose ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS>Choose ADVANCED on the taskbar and click SETTINGS on the PERFORMANCE>Check or tick the ADJUST FOR BEST PERFORMANCE or adjust(change) the VIRTUAL MEMORY on the ADVANCED option in the PERFORMANCE option.

THIS IS ALL THE HELP I CAN GIVE IT TO YOU.

27. Zhong Jiang

I've experienced a recent "black screen after login" issue, my solution was disabling background services or called "autoruns".

28. Paul Pruitt

Install an SSD hard drive. 120 GB is good, 60 GB is acceptable. Reinstall your OS on the SSD. Install you major programs on it. Use your old hard drive for your files and less used programs. Your computer will then boot in under 30 seconds even if you don't have an Intel i3, i5 or i7 CPU...

29. Drew Butler

I agree with all the comments above. It sounds like a hardware issue or the OS is missing important files. Run windows recovery to check and fix errors> Dx diagnostic to check system performance> Tuneup Utilities to defrag hdd, fix registry errors, defrag registry and optimize system boot. Hope this helps :)

On bootup does Bios report all of your installed memory? Is your CPU running hot (more than 55 degrees C)?

31. Lisa Santika Onggrid

It might be that you accidentally turn of required services, or items that run in your startups are all heavy. Or malware. Or you have too much items in your desktop. There are many possibilities here.

32. Alex Perkins

Have you tried booting from a install disk, if it's still slow booting that it may be time to upgrade my friend.

perhaps windows having difficulty to apply user settings.

if you have windows cd boot on it and choose startup repair.

check your graphic card driver, download the latest version and install it. or go to device manager find the video card driver then right click on it and choose uninstall (do not delete) reboot and let windows to update.