Why does my computer shut down 10 seconds after booting due to a thermal event?

Craig Talcott Sr. April 13, 2013

I am going to replace the fan on the CPU. Any other ideas?

1. yudics

can you tell me how hot your cpu?, can you access your bios and list the system health of your computer?

2. Sk Nepal0

Take out the CPU Fan.
    Apply a bit of toothpaste on its base.
    Put the fan back.
    Wait for 10 minutes.
    Open your Computer.

It will work now. Good Luck.

3. Anay Chaubal

CPU cooler fan failure,
    faulty sensor on motherboard,
    ram shorting,
    CPU pin shorting,
    CPU malfunction,
    motherboard malfunction,
    there are a number of issues that might be the reason for your problem.

check the dust on the heatsink to start with,
    then check if the fan rotates when the system is on,
    then check the heatsink by touching it if it really is hot, when the thermal event occurs, and troubleshoot from there.

• Craig Talcott Sr.

Changed out the memory board. Very easy. it clicked right in. Didn't work. Plugged in known good hard drive. Got to xp screen and died. I am thinking Mother board or operating system. Any other troubleshooting tips
      would be appreciated. Thank you.

4. Manuth Chek

I think this is the CPU overheating caused by malfunctioning cooling system. Have you tried checking it (or cleaned it) before?

5. Abbie C

Mine actually used to do that. I would turn it on and it would start to boot up and turn off so i would turn it back on and the same thing would happen over and over and over again. Someone told me i most likely had a virus from playing facebook games or skype (im not positive it was either of those). but it kept doing this process and some times it would turn on but it would randomly turn off as i was using it. it did this for a while but eventully it just didnt turn on anymore. i tried plugging it up but nothing worked.

6. null

A few questions?

First off is this a laptop or is it a Desktop computer?
    Some problems that affect laptops do not affect desktops and vice versa.

Second, how old is the system?
    If the computer is relatively new that could discount the thermal paste problem.

Third, Have you checked the exhaust fans to see if they are blocked with dust.

Fourth, if this is a desktop have you checked to see if the Heat sink is clogged with dirt?

Fifth, Do you hear the fans working?

Finally never just take advice given when the person has not at least asked a few questions to see if they can get a little closer to figuring out what the possible problem is. Also on a online forum it is hard to find out what qualifications a member has in computer repair so use this only as a guidance. If you are not comfortable fixing a problem find a local computer shop to repair it.

• Chris Marcoe

This! Everything Null says is correct. You've no idea who/what we are. Take everything we say with a grain of salt and check with other sources.

7. Thomas Farnsworth

I'd take off the heatsink and clean and put new thermal grease on when putting back together make sure heatsink is seated properlyand check the fan on the cpu it only takes 10 seconds for a desktop to overheat and shut down

8. Usman Mubashir

probably the fan is not working or not properly attatched.

9. Suvadeep Paul

Hello Craig,
    I don't think that immediately after boot-up the CPU will reach such a temperature that it has to shut down the system after 10 seconds. I had a same problem but I used to get a warning of hardware failure during start-up. But after starting, I could run my laptop for 10-15 mins without the cooling fan working coz it was clogged with dust. If you are 100% sure about the problem, then I suggest you need to clean all the fans and the heat sink. Dust in heat sink will not allow the heat to radiate faster. Also you need to check the clips of the heat sink that is attached to your motherboard. Lose heat sink will not cool the CPU.

10. Chris Marcoe

So, you know that it is shutting off due to overheating, right? If it boots right back up, that heat is still there. So it wouldn't be a surprise for it to cut right back off.

Are you getting any kind of error message before it cuts back out?

• Craig

A thermal event has occurred. I disconnected the hard drive and turned on the machine and it keeps on running. I am thinking that I need to replace the hard drive or there could be a bad resistor on my board. Any ideas? Thanks for your time.

Also check that PSU and chassis fans are spinning freely. A laboring fan is a big source of heat.

somu1795 could you not think up an answer by yourself? There is no need to copy Oron's answer!
    By the way, I voted your answer down as you could only manage to copy/paste another answer!

it can be hard drive overheating?
    go to BIOS and check CPU temperature set to be shutdown at which temperature

• Craig Talcott Sr.

Thanks for the answer. I will check out the Bios.

• Oron Joffe

HD overheating 10 seconds after bootup?

@Oron Joffe perhaps HD overheated during the first time, BIOS recorded the event so stucked in that loop action, clear BIOS log or resetting BIOS can help in rectifying that event. This depends also on BIOS configuration. I am not pointing the hard drive as the sources of the problem it is just a precaution.

• Sheldon

This may or may not apply... I had a very similar problem recently but it was the sink and fan on my graphics card. I got about 10 secs into boot too... maybe less and BAM... shutdown. My heatsink and fan actually came away from the card... fell off... broken. I don't how the heck that happened but it did.

Most likely scenario is that the heat sink (not the fan itself) is not attached properly to the processor. They need to be in full contact, with A MINIMUM of thermal paste. Remove the heat sink, clean it (and the CPU) thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol or citrus cleaner and apply a small amount (about the size of one grain of rice) of good thermal paste before reattaching the heat sink. If you have never done this before, have a look at Youtube, there are some good clips there showing how to do this.

• Craig Talcott Sr.

I will check out the you tube video. Thanks!

THe CPU fan is the issue. Just make sure you use good thermal grease.

• Craig Talcott Sr.

Thanks.I will try it.