Why does my computer show two versions of Windows XP installed?
Question by Abhinav Dhoke /

My PC is running Windows XP.
I once tried to install ‘Windows XP Professional Setup ? and it had failed.

Since then. when the system boots up, it lists both ‘Windows XP Professional Setup? and ‘Windows XP?. The default OS is ‘Windows XP? and after the options pop up, gives 3 seconds to choose and then starts to install ‘Windows XP Professional Setup? automatically.
How can I remove it from system boot select.

And plus.
I Tried deleting it from BOOT.INI in msconfig, discussed in earlier question, but there’s no option to delete. Is there an alternative?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Prashant Mirjankar

Simplest of method is by using Easy BCD to delete the entry.

• Sathya Murthy

While an windows xp installation is half installed and you by mistake start installation of another by restarting then two copies of windows will be shown in the system

• Abba Jee

i guess its not solved yet :S or maybe Abhinav Dhoke don’t have much time to click solved

• Prasanth Mathialagan

EasyBCD works fine for these tasks.

Okay, this is resolved now. How do I tell them to close this Question.?

Click on the resolved button present on the below of your question’s description.

• Jim Chambers

You can edit the boot.ini in notepad. Make sure to save a copy of unedited version in another location in case of problems

perhaps you can use the boot menu in EasyBCD
    Deleting Menu Entries

Well, I just did it normally according to the other responders. But Thanks for your help. :) Maybe next time. :D

great you solved the problem EasyBCD has more feature just scroll through the interface and options, you may like it.

• Alan Wade

Control Panel/ System/Advanced.
    Click on Startup and Recovery/Settings/Default Operating System
    Change the dropdown to your desired OS.
    You will see a time out which is 30 seconds by default, set that to 0.
    OK your way out and reboot.
    It should now boot directly to your chosen Win XP.
    Go back to Boot.ini under msconfig.msc and click the button labelled ‘Check All Boot Paths’.
    A dialogue box should open showing the Windows XP Pro that you want to remove.
    Highlight it confirm you want to remove this entry and then reboot.
    It should now be gone.

Thanks, It is now solved. :)
      I did the timeout change but wasn’t able to follow the second thing. Couldn’t find how to remove it. As I told earlier, It does get highlighted but there’s no option to remove the entry.

So I returned to check the timeout entries and edited the BOOT.INI file from there. As Suggested by John Chambers below. Any way, It’s now Done. :)

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

You should mark this question as resolved, then:)