Why does my computer only boot after a delay?

silvester k philip November 14, 2012

When I start my computer the tower’s light turns on, but the monitor is blank. After about 1 minute it starts to boot. How can I fix this?

1. atul mahajan

Use some performance improvement tool liike ccleaner.
    Also check for startup programs using msconfig.

2. Douglas Mutay

Did you check the boot delay set in your bios?

3. Dimal Chandrasiri

please state your hardware and OS configuration so that we can give you a specific answer!

4. Nikhil Chandak

I think u r having virus ....

5. Lisa Santika Onggrid

You might have malware, your system is too heavy, or the hardware is already aging.

if you have windows cd boot on it and choose startup repair

remove ram clean them and replug
    reset cmos battery

7. Aswin Kumar K P

You have not mentioned your system configuration and your OS.

Your OS should be too heavy for your system configuration.Uprade your system or use linux operating system.

Is it really taking that long before something appears on the monitor or is it taking your monitor that long to warm up? One minute is an excessive amount of time for the machine to POST to the video circuitry. As long as the monitor is ready to display content, you should see POST activity/manufacturer logo within 10 seconds or so. The order of POST checks are normally: power supply, major motherboard circuitry, memory, video, drive controllers, other I/O controllers, other expansion cards. Because of this order, video is not available immediately, but it should not take more than a few seconds before you have video available. Another thing to note is that for motherboards that do a more extensive POST process (such as one of my MSI boards), it will take longer for the POST to run, but as soon as video is available, you will see hex digits in the lower right corner of the screen indicating how far the system is in the testing process or the results of the latest test.

9. Boni Oloff

I think there is no problem with it. Delay about 1 minute seems not too long.

Does it have an AMD CPU. There Post takes quite a bit longer (maybe more thorough) than Intel processors.