Why does my computer lag when I try to use programs after boot?

Crlos A July 24, 2013

My  computer is a Core i7 windows 7 pc so it shouldnt lag to start up or anything and in the begining it would go with out any problem but it starts up good very fast but wen it goes to the main screen where your wallpaper is it takes very long to press buttons and wen i do it freezes. any ideas on wat it might be?

1. Tsf O

This problem usually arises when a lot of 3rd party softwares and services are initiated in background to ensure if that is the case follow the steps below to place your computer in “clean boot”
    • Click the Start
    • Type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    • On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
    • Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
    • Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
    • Click OK.
    When you are prompted, click Restart.

If you want to skip all of the trial-and-error tests to see where the time is being sucked up, you can go to MSDN and download either the ADK (Assessment and Deployment Kit) or the latest SDK (Software Development Kit) for Windows and use the xperf tool to get a detailed report of what is taking so long to load. The command to use is 'xperf -i boot_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl -o summary_Boot.xml -a boot'. In the resulting summary_Boot.xml file, the entry 'bootDoneViaExplorer' tells you how long (in milliseconds) it took until the start of explorer.exe. The entry 'bootDoneViaPostBoot' tells how long it took to boot including all startup applications. These values will help determine if it is an issue loading drivers, services, profiles at login, etc or if it is other startup applications that are your time sink.

I agree with Dalsan, almost certainly it's a problem with startup programs. It could be the sheer number of programs, or else it could be one particular program which is holding up the boot process. One way to identify it is to get a Soluto account (trial is free) and let it diagnose your bootup process - it does a very good job of timing the different processes, and also advising you which ones can be disabled.

try to clean boot windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    then activate one process a time and boot when you see which one is the faulty process then you can do malware scan to see if it is a malware.

5. Paul L

Please restart it and press f8, then go to security mode with network. If it works well, please check your recent installed programs.

Also you are recommended to clean and optimization your PCs in regularly. Advanced SystemCare is that tool: http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.php.

6. Matt H

Dalsan M has correctly addressed the main reason why your computer lags after boot, but I thought I would also add that installing a SSD would be another and more effective way to reduce the time it takes to load programs. With the price of SSD's dropping all the time, it is in my opinion a very good investment when comparing the cost to the increase in performance. I just installed one in my own PC about 6 months ago and it was one of the best purchases I have ever made. If you do decide to go this route, make sure to do your research and find one that meets your needs.

This happens mostly because of to many startup programs trying to run at once on top of Windows 7 processes and security software. Go to the msconfig utility by pressing the start button, then entering "msconfig.msc" (without quotes) into the search bar. From there, go through the list and disable unwanted or unnecessary startup items (Google search any items you do not know so you don't disable something important). Alternatively, download http://www.ccleaner.com and install it. Once you start CCleaner, click on Tools, then Startup. You can go through the list of main startup items, browser toolbar startup items, and other items and tasks. I would also run the cleaner in CCleaner to clean up junk files that accumulated as well. Also, make sure that your antivirus (hopefully you have one installed) is not set to automatically scan at startup.