Why does my computer freeze or shut down while ripping DVDs?
Question by Matthew Ledbetter /

OK, so I have an older AMD Phenom 9955BE. I’m running 4GB of Patriot DDR2800 RAM, and a WD Green 500GB HDD. I’ve been working recently rip the DVDs my 5yo got for xmas to MKV, so we can use the HTPC to watch them (as opposed to searching for often scratched discs). I’m using FairUse Wizard 2 to rip them.

I got through the first DVD of the He-man collection, and halfway through the second DVD, the 6th episode will hard freeze windows. I have to shut down holding the power button, and once had to go so far as switching off the PSU for a reboot. A few times, the system would full on shut down.

The process of ripping keeps all 4 cores pinged at about 95+% usage, with a decent bit of RAM used as well. after the first issue, I defragmented the temp partition I’m using to store the files for ripping (using Auslogic Disk Defrag), and ran the typical windows error-check on the partition as well. after one of the error cycles, i went into the system check in windows at bootup, and there was a RAM test i ran using the full battery of tests. all came back fine.

The conclusion I have come to is that my CPU is working fine for basic tasks, but isn’t up for the process of high usage and it is freezing up only on this processor taxing work. I can rip BluRay just fine, as it doesn’t use as much processor power (I’m using staxrip for that). If there is a better avenue or some way I can verify my CPU is working or not, I’d like to know, before spending 75-150 bucks on a new CPU.

Any other information you may need I’ll provide. thanks!

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , .
Windows_10
Windows_10
Windows Tips
Windows Tips
Raspberry Pi Projects
Raspberry Pi Projects
Windows Troubleshooting
Windows Troubleshooting
Best Windows Software
Best Windows Software
Technology Explained
Technology Explained
Computer Hardware Talk
Computer Hardware Talk
Arduino Projects
Arduino Projects
Awesome Gadgets
Awesome Gadgets
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple Hardware Discussion