Why does my computer freeze once I’m logged in?

Cayla Henderson November 26, 2012

My computer freezes at the desktop background once I’m logged in. I’ve looked up what the problem could be but i’m not finding a solution. Some say it could be my video driver but when I go to check about an update for my driver it says that it’s the right driver and that it’s already updated.

I was on read somewhere that Windows could be wrong but I don’t know how to disable my current video driver in order to be able to run a new one. I’m not sure what the problem is, if I should reboot computer, update video driver, or what.

If anyone thinks it is the video driver could you please explain in detail how I can go about fixing it?

Thanks.

Hello, usually this happens when there is a problem with drivers. It could also be cause by too many startup programs. For drivers, the first step would be to make sure your drivers are up to date. You can do that by visiting manufacturer's website or simply by running windows updates as it will have the generic driver you need. If your drivers are up to date, they might still be corrupted.

You could try running a diagnostic startup in windows 7. Diagnostic statup will only load the basic drivers that windows need to run. To do so try the following:

-- click on start
    -- on search box type the following:

msconfig

-- a box will open, and under the general tab, make sure to check the diagnostic startup.
    -- restart your system and see if same thing happens. It should startup ok if there is a third party driver causing the issue.
    -- if the previous step your computer started ok, then it is a matter of enabling the third party drivers/programs one by one until you find the culprit.

With regards to too many startup programs, you can also use the msconfig to disable/enable startup programs. Just make sure to select the startup tab at menu and disable startup programs that do not need to be starting up with windows. Startup programs such as java, itunes, adobe, quicktime, etc, do not need to startup with windows. Keep in mind that after you do changes in msconfig you will have to restart your system.

By the way, there are many tools that let you disable/enable startup entries. Ccleaner lets you do it too. The best solution if you are not comfortable playing with this stuff is by trying something like soluto:

https://www.soluto.com/

2. Tony Gonzaga

Possible causes are loose connections - check your cables, dust in our RAM- clean your RAM sockets and defective GPU.

3. dhanunjayarao chunduri

Dear, this seems to be a problem with your explorer.exe. Just start task manager by pressing Alt+Ctrl+Del, go to processes, close the process named explorer.exe. Then go to new task and write explorer.exe. Once it reloads

4. Alex Perkins

Going a different way from the rest here, it could be that you have alot of processes (backround applications) starting when you start windows. That freeze is the computers trying to start and run all those programs. If you want to take a look at all those processes I would suggest looking into Soluto.

5. A.J

May B Ur Pc Is Corrupt....And/Or Hard Disk Problem:

Try To Format Ur Pc {Make A Back Up Before...}
    And Re- assemble Hard Disk With Booting It Fresh If It`s Not Booting Or Showing Error U May Change Ur Hard Disk.....

6. Duy Nguyen Minh

You can reinstall your Windows. If not successful, you format and install new windows.

Are you using the video driver that came with your video card (DVD driver disk) or one that you downloaded from the card makers support site? If not, windows will install a generic driver from the GPU maker that may not be compatible with your card due to alterations made by the card maker. An example is a Gigabyte card with an Nvidia GPU. Another possibility is that a memory chip on your card has failed.

8. Rakesh Mishra

there will be many unwanted apps running at the start time so type msconfig in the command prompt and close the unwanted apps

9. Rakesh Mishra

10. Rizzo Cow

You could always try a System Restore and go back to a point in time when the computer wasn't freeezing when you got to the desktop. then you can use process of elimination by adding programs and updates one at a time and make note of when the freeezing starts!
    Of course...it could also be a bad memory cell on the DIMM.

11. Usman Mubashir

check if any recent program installation might be the cause?

12. Naachiz Faqeer

Dear, this seems to be a problem with your explorer.exe. Just start task manager by pressing Alt+Ctrl+Del, go to processes, close the process named explorer.exe. Then go to new task and write explorer.exe. Once it reloads, everything is fine.

13. Abba Jee

how much RAM do you have ?

14. Justin Pot

Might be drivers, like you said. It could also be a program starting at boot that's causing you trouble. Run a malware scan from Safe Mode, if you can; Malwarebytes is good for this. You could also use Autoruns (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/get-your-computer-startup-under-control-with-autoruns/) to see if anything at startup could be causing you problems.

I'd avoid Registry Cleaners, but that's just me.

try clean boot
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    then re-enable one by one process untill to find out which one causing this problem.

remove ram and clean the dust, check that cables are well connected in your computer, see if the graphic card is well plugged...

do a registry scan with CCleaner, Soluto, wise registry cleaner,
    https://www.soluto.com/

16. Adrian Rea

I would recommend starting in safe mode first and work from there. If safe mode works you can then look at drivers. you could return to a previous restore point.