Why does my C Drive keep filling up in Windows 7?
Question by JosieBarron2008 . /

I’m running Windows 7 with a 60 GB C drive and for the first couple years it was doing alright. But somehow lately it keeps having issues.

I’ll free up around 10 gigs worth of space and in two days or less my C drive will be full again. I don’t understand why this keeps happening. I run disk clean up daily, so temp folders are out of the question. I ran Windirstat and it said that 20 gigs are being used by .dll extension while another 10 gigs is being used by .txt or more specifically toolbar_log.txt

Can anyone help me? I need to know exactly what to do.

How do I free up this space?
What files are okay to delete?
Is there anyway to keep this from happening?

Please include step by step instruction on how to do any of this as I am not very computer savvy. Thanks!

• Akshay Hallur

Clear the backup files of Uninstalled app and remove Windows.old, so that it frees your C drive space
    Download Ccleaner here

• Alan Wade

First and foremost look into any backup software you may have, that will eat the gigs! Check what your system restore is covering, maybe you dont need it all backed up.

Yeps, we both are thinking in similar lines, as this is usually the scene for the problem statement mentioned. :D

Probably you have a recovery / disk image software installed, which takes regular snapshots of your entire disk and eats up your HDD space. Look into it, and disable/uninstall it, which will resolve your problem, however a bit of compromise on fall back option in case any problem occurs with your lappy.

• Spazz

In my experience, a 60GB HDD is way too small for an operating system like Windows 7. I personally wouldn’t install Win7 on any HDD smaller than at least 200GB. If you partitioned a larger HDD and are only using a 60GB partition, I would recommend that you enlarge your 60GB partition. You have to remember that you will be installing all sorts of Apps and Utilities etc, all those files are stored on the 60GB together with whatever files or databases etc is created by those softwares.

• yudics

jossie, i think your space is feed by system restore. windows have to backup your system daily so they can use the file to restore your system in previous state with command from user, and this proccess is doing everyday. so if you find system error after installing software or another reason, you can use this system restore for back to normal state before system error. to free up your space you can turn off and turn on the system restore. to do this, go to the, control panel->system, and find system restore tab, then click it, you can find “turn off system restore on all drives”, click the box, see the status drive below, when it change, you can turn on it again. and finish, check your hardisk freespace..

• Degenerated S

maybe your browsers are saving the cache files on C drive that sometimes takes large amount of space… also the antiviruses like kaspersky takes more than 1 GB to store it update database and installation files and other softwares like MS Office and Nokia suit also store their setup files(copy of the program from which you installed these programs)…

• Jan Fritsch

According to a Google search this “toolbar_log.txt” is part of AVG. So make sure to update your Anti-Virus or any other AVG tool you have since they allegedly fixed it in an update.

Other then that there is no step to step fix for this but you finding out (as you started) where the space is going.
    You said a lot of space is used by DLL files. Those libraries are usually part of a software or the system. Using Windirstat you should be able to locate the folder they are residing in and therefor know which software they are from. Maybe some of it can be uninstalled to free up space.

Last but not least a 60GB system drive is very limited. Unless you perform a custom installation of software and tools to another hard drive or partition all of them will be installed into the Program Files or Program Files (x86) directory. So the more software you have installed the more is used up of this 60GB.
    The default installation of Windows 7 itself already takes up somewhere between 20-25GB which is almost 40% of your space.

scan with adwcleaner

do you have AVG (AVG Security Toolbar)? if yes read this here
    Toolbar_log.txt Become Extremely Huge!

How to uninstall AVG Secure Search

if do not fix Re Install AVG without the Safe search toolbar

Optimize Your System To Run At Its Best With CCleaner

Help CCleaner Remove All Your Excess Files With CCEnhancer