Why does my browser now direct me to Babylon search?

Jon Webb November 15, 2012

I’m an internet moron – please bear that in mind.

Until today, when I clicked on my Mozilla Firefox icon, I got to my regular homepage, with tabs for the sites I visit frequently. I must have clicked something when I was dusting the keyboard. Now when I click on the icon I just get to a babylon search. I can’t get back to my home. Any suggestions (simple,please) would be appreciated.

1. Saurabh Kumar

remove babylon toolbar which get installed with some of the softwares.......
    and then change the homepage and also change the default search engine......

2. luis donis

if uninstall that tool is a headache from the control panel-programs-uninstall programs

3. Giggity Goebbels

try to goto c:program files and see if there is a folder related to babylon.delete it

4. Sathya Murthy

You have to make a default setting in your browser to redirect to babylon search page while opening the web browser.

5. Abba Jee

becuase it might have been installed it , you need to uninstall in from control panel /add-remove programs to get rid of it permanently

6. Qin Tang

Highly suggest your uninstalling the Babylon program, which comes up with a freeware you installed before. Uninstall it and restart your Firefox.

7. Dave Rimmer

Click on Firefox/Help/Troubleshooting Information/Rest Firefox restart Firefox/Finish should now be removed.

8. Aswin Kumar Nayakann

options->General tab. Home Page lists current setting and should have Babylon Search page URL. Try changing Home Page to your URL and click OK. See if home icon takes you to your home page. And then in manage search engine change the default search provider to Google

9. Remington Ostrout

You may have installed something recently that set your default search engine to Babylon. I think just setting your homepage back to the original would fix it. Best of luck!

10. A. Prakash

Check this link. It will be useful to you to remove Babylon.........

http://www.babylon.com/uninstall_search/firefox

11. Alex Meyer

Go to control panel and click on uninstall a program. Then find Babylon and uninstall it and its toolbar and your done.

Hope this helps.
    Frank

12. dragonmouth

I strongly urge you to use the procedure recommended by John Brenner above. Simply deleting the Babylon toolbar and changing the URL will not work. Babylon is a browser hijacker and will persistently keep coming back unless properly removed.

I don't want install in my PC i hate this

14. Hamdy Shalaby

Babylon is a toolbar. Problem is simple. just do that.
    1- go to add and remove programs and uninstall babylon toolbar.
    2- open Firefox and go to add-ons and remove any thing with babylon word. ** Firefox will be restart.
    3- after Firefox open again go to option in general tab enter a home bage you want and ok.

15. Usman Mubashir

uninstall the babylon toolbar from control panel, then change the homepage url from settings

16. John Brenner

Jon,

If you follow explicitly the simple directions on the Firefox support page found at the link below you will resolve your problem. The steps will both eliminate the Babylon search engine as well as prevent new other little internet beasties attach themselves whilst roaming the wilds of the netz.

John

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/923451

17. Valerie Young

I had this happen and NO it wasnt home page change, Nor was it found in registry I had to use a firefox add-on to remove it and poof it was gone. Malware bytes didnt catch it at all, I never download toolbars

• Dave Rimmer

You told him you removed it but a little bit more info on how you did it would have been useful by telling him just which add on you used if you did.

18. Adam Daniel

This has happened to me before too. 'Babylon search' is a very persistent piece of malware called a 'Browser hijacker', and it can be quite difficult to completely remove.

What you need to do:
    1. Open up your control panel and navigate to the 'Uninstall programs' window (I would strongly recommend that you install and use a program called "Revo Uninstaller" as it can uninstall programs, and then search throughout your computer to find any leftover folders/files/registry-entries that Windows might have overlooked).
    2. Next, locate 'Babylon' or 'Babylon Search' on the programs on the list and uninstall. (Babylon has also been known to change it's name at any time, and has been detected as using the names "Montiera", "Funmoods", "Facemood", "Browser Manager", "Bprotector", "Object Installer", and "Babylon Toolbar on IE" as aliases).
    3. Download and install the anti-virus program: 'MalwareBytes Anti-Malware' (you can use another AV software, but I have found that MalwareBytes is by far my favorite). *Do not scan just yet.*
    4. Restart your computer in "Safe Mode with Networking"
    5. Now start up MalwareBytes and begin a scan on your computer (make sure to do a full scan). Delete anything that MalwareBytes puts into it's 'Quarantine'.

If this did not completely resolve the issue, please continue on down to step 6.

6. Still in 'Safe Mode', open Firefox and type the following into the address bar: about:config
    7. If a warning message is displayed, just click the 'I'll be careful, I promise!' button.
    8. Type the following into the search box: Babylon Search Hijacker
    9. Right click on all affected preferences and click on "Reset"
    10. Restart Firefox and navigate to the search box in the upper right hand corner and click the 'arrow down' next to the 'G' logo.
    11. Click on 'Manage Search Engines..."
    12. Click on 'Babylon' and click 'Remove'
    13. Highlight your preferred search engine, and click on 'Move Up' until that search engine is at the top of the list.

Hope you were able to successfully remove this annoying hijacker!

Of course there is a manual removal for Babylon Search.......

First check in Add/Remove programs if any..

Open Firefox and try to remove the Addon

////

Open Run command (Hold Windows key and press R from your Keyboard)

Type %allusersprofile%

Delete Babylon folder

Now again open Run command

Type %appdata%

Remove Babylon folder

Also search in "Local" in Users for the babylon toolbar

Restart your Browser

If you have any issue with opening a new Tab that have Babylon search then copy the URL, search in Registry and edit the value with google or any other search url :)

20. Yang Yang Li

The easiest solution is to get rid of Firefox and use IE9. IE9 has patches that prevent browser redirects.

21. Srinivas N

when unaware of babylon toolbar it creeps into firefox..try uninstalling in add on manager,next in your OS control panel..If still it persists try deleting entries in Registry but with caution..also i can tell that type in url of firefox ""about:config"" then in search bar type babylon and then you may find some entries with babylon name..then simply reset that value and hopefully this may help you

If you are not afraid to work with your registry, after you have removed Babylon using the methods listed in the comments, open your registry and search for Babylon deleting each entry as you find them (there will possibly be a few). That way you know its gone.

• Alan Wade

Oh and if you do decide to delete any registry entries, make sure you back up the registry or create a restore point before proceeding. That way if you should happen to delete the wrong key you can restore it back to where you were.
      That said, I deleted all of the Babylon entries without any problems at all.

23. DalSan Mack

I had to remove the same malware from a family computer. Run a virus scan like Malwarebytes Antimalware AND other antivirus and antimalware programs. Then I typed about:config into the browser and searched for Babylon, then cleared everything associated with the word Babylon. Make sure to uninstall the Babylon toolbar and anything else associated with it. Best would to use Revo Uninstaller it something like it such as Perfect Uninstaller (I use Revo and it is free). Then go into Firefox settings and change the homepage, default page, and search engine. More can be found here, but something was downloaded and installed that included the installer for Babylon translator. More info can be found here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/923451

24. Nikhil Chandak

Change the search engine of Firefox from Babylon to whatever u want in the settings option , change the homepage in the setting of Firefox and if then also this is happening then re-install ur Firefox and then try out
    this may help u out

25. anant nigam

Hi! This has nothing to do with keyboard dusting. :)
    Its because babylon plugin has been integrated into your browser while surfing or while installing something. Anyway to remove it, you need to follow below mentioned steps.

1. In Browser's top-left corner, there is an orange button with Firefox written on it, click it.
    2. A menu will open, Navigate to 'Add-ons' option
    3. Click on 'Plugins' button, and disable any plugin with the babylon
    4. Click on 'Extensions' button, and disable any extensions with the babylon
    5, then close the tab and in Address bar, write 'about:config'
    6. it will give you a warning message, click on 'I'll be careful, i Promise!'
    7. Remember, dont make any other changes, except mentioned, you will be dealing main registry file for your browser
    8. in search bar, type in babylon.. it will give you all the registry keys for babylon search bar plugin
    9. now, this one is a boring job, right on each registry key and click on Reset.
    10. now restart your browser.

Do keep in mind, dont make change in any file other then those, that come in by typing in 'Babylon' in search bar

Hope you can get through conveniently. :)

26. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Congratulations. Your homepage has been hijacked.
    Sorry, couldn't resist. Go to firefox settings and change the homepage back to yours. If you get a Babylon toolbar too, go to control panel. add or remove programs and uninstall the toolbar from there. Or you can use services like this one:http://toolbarcleaner.com/
    Hope that helps and be cautious next time!

• Douglas Mutay

:-) Jon might have had a heart attack when he saw your first line...
      Thanks for link and for the advice. I am sure it will help a lot.

27. Sean A

This was most likely done because you installed free software that came with this search page. (I have the same thing in Firefox) Just change your homepage back to what it was and try to uninstall any Babylon related stuff in Programs and Features in your Control Panel. If that doesn't clear it you need to uninstall any free or likely culprits of malware and run a scan of your PC

Have you installed any software that was downloaded from the internet recently? Perhaps the Babylon 7 (translation program)? Many of them include various toolbars that are installed when users don't pay attention to everything displayed during the install process and don't uncheck the option to install the toolbar. Many of these toolbars also hijack your search page and/or homepage which is what probably has happened to you.By uninstalling the toolbar, it MAY revert your search and home pages to their defaults. Or you can click on the Firefox button in the upper-left corner and select Options - Options and click the Restore to Default button to reset your home page to the default setting.To change the search provider, click on the icon or arrow at the beginning of the search bar and select Manage search providers... In the dialog box that appears, you can select your preferred provider and move it to the top of the list (this list is in your preferred order of usage) and you can also delete any you do not wish to use.

Click Firefox button in top left corner, select options and General tab. Home Page lists current setting and should have Babylon Search page URL unless your browser has been hijacked (by a virus). Try changing Home Page to your URL and click OK. See if home icon takes you to your home page. If not, install Malwarebytes and scan your computer for viruses.