Why does my ‘after market’ print cartridge print all pages with a black line on the edge of the page?

Joseph V October 4, 2013

Why does my ‘after market’ print cartridge print all pages with a black line on the edge of the page – and can using after-market print cartridges really damage my printer as the manufacturer claims ?

Regarding answer to your second part,buying and using cartridges form third party manufacturers will not harm unless they are poorly manufactured.Most of them work fine.Manufacturers claims must not be heard as they do so as to increase their sale of cartridges.They sell you cheap printer and in return you have to face inefficient use of cartridge by the printer.

If the toner can be scraped off it might be
    (a) too much toner being applied to that spot (again, it may be something with the drum or the developer unit).
    (b) a sign that there is something wrong with the fusing unit. It could be a damaged surface or a dying heating lamp.

I would suggest a warranty exchange/repair as soon as possible if it is still applicable. To me it sounds like more than just a bad toner cartridge and all the parts I gave as an example start at $100 and up.

Are all laser printers that finicky? Yes and no.
    I have seen a CMYK laser that had 2 drum unit exchanges within 6 months until they finally exchange the entire device (under warranty) and I have seen a B/W laser that had it's first minor repair (the feed rolls) after 5 years of service.

3. Joseph V

Thank you for all of your informative comments. I will now add the details I originally left out:

printer: Laserjet Brother HL5470-DW

Cartridge manufacturer: Cartritech (about $30 instead of Brother's $80 replacement cartridge)

Black toner line is very thing - about 1/8" on the long side; and it is not uniform - almost like pieces of 'clumped toner' can be scratched off.

Also - the double-sided printing crinkles the paper. - it does print the page , but with several deep crinkles in the paper.

Lastly - this is a pretty new printer - 1st time I changed the cartridge - and already these problems. Unless all printers are that finicky.

Perhaps you've given me the answers I need already - I just need to maybe manually clean the drum, charging roller - I've never done this -not sure what to use or how to do it. I will of course look on youtube, but if anyone has a good link, would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again for your responses.

I guess the first question would be what is your printer make and model?

Assuming it's a laser printer vertical line usually has something to do with the drum unit or developer.

You could start by carefully cleaning the charging roller and the drum (only turn the drum in the direction it would turn during normal operation). If there is a distinct line of toner left on the drum it may also be the cleaning blade.
    If either the drum, roller or blade have some physical damage you'd have to replace them (they usually come as an entire drum unit).
    If that doesn't help you should look at the developer if there is any dirt or foreign object or damage on it's surface.

If it's an inkjet printer look into the driver or printer menu. There should be a button/utility for cleaning the printing heads and calibration of the printer. That usually solves the most common issues.

Third-party cartridges is probably a 70:30 chance? Most of them work just as fine as the original. Often they also last longer than the original. So in most cases they are good.
    I usually judge them by the prize – if they cost somewhere between half and two-third of the original prize they are usually decent (as stupid as this may sounds).

I assume that by "after market" you mean "third party" cartridge, i.e. one not made by the original equipment's manufacturer.
    You don't say whether this is a laser or inkjet printer, and which edge of the page it's on. So, assuming it's a laser cartridge and the black mark runs along the long side of the page ,this means there's a bit of dirt/toner on one of the rollers (either within the cartridge or elsewhere in the printer) or that the drum is scratched. It's difficult to say more without having a more accurate description (how wide is the line, is it even, as if printed, or uneven, like a leak? etc).
    Badly manufactured toner cartridges (for laser printers) can leak toner into the printer, which makes for an unholy mess, but you can clean them with a vacuum cleaner and laser printer cleaning sheets (you can buy these online). They won't actually damage your printer beyond that.
    With inkjets, the situation is more complicated. Badly made cartridges can really damage your printer, but there are many good "compatible" cartridges that work every bit as well, and sometimes better than the original cartridges. I rarely use original cartridges, and the only time I've had trouble is when _I_ have done something stupid!

6. Alan W

What is an "after-market" print cartridge?