Why does Facebook think I’m logging in from 1500 miles away?

Morgan Jackson May 24, 2013

For the past month, facebook repeatedly has shown me as logging in from 1500 miles away. At first I thought my account had been hijacked despite the lack of suspicious activity. I cleared cookies and malware with my security suite and malware programs, but all activity I make on the account (logging-in from different browsers – IE or Chrome, changing passwords, etc.) still is reported as occurring 1500 miles from where I am located. Is the geo-locator for the IP address that far off or is there some security issue I have not yet identified?

1. Avinash Mali

This sometimes happens when you use cellular network for internet connection to access facebook

2. Mohammed Essam

search which services are using your FB account sometimes Nimbuzz reads as an external or un ordinary / upnormal use for ur FB.

3. Degenerated S

yeah sometimes if u use mobile browsers like opera ..they have their servers located at far away places so it seem to facebook as if you are logging in from a distance place

4. Rajdeepak Singh

Do you use mobile Internet to log in facebook then it may be due to your carrier's ip and your regular pc ip different location.I had a similar problem.

you can ask your ISP for any changes occured with them.
    maybe facebook logged your last IP position?

Bruce Epper is correct. Also may happen if you are using a VPN software like CyberGhost VPN to obtain another IP from different location.

• suneo nobi

Looks like an ISP issue..............

Your ISP may have moved IP blocks around. I had this happen after Qwest (now CenturyLink) moved a block of addresses that had been assigned to the Denver, CO area to the Phoenix Metro area. Many sites were reporting that I was in Devner instead of Mesa.

You will get the same effect when using proxies (either doing it yourself or your ISP pushing you through one) and VPNs.