Why does Chrome run slow on my brand new laptop?
Question by C. Becker /

Why does Chrome run slow on my brand new Windows 8 laptop? I love Chrome, but it is sooo slow that I have been forced to use IE 10 which flies compared to Chrome.

• Chinmay Sarupria

You should use Firefox. It’s really a fast browser. I don’t know why many say that Chrome is fast. I have used Chrome in past and didn’t noticed increase in speed.

• Nathan Piercy

If you have signed into Chrome with your Google account on another computer and have installed themes, apps, extensions, etc and you sign in on your new computer, it will be slow until it has synced your browsing data.

• Francisco de Gusmao

In terms of internet speed, chrome is faster, at least under normal circumstances. in terms of cpu and ram weight, chrome is possibly worse. but, for a new laptop, i suppose it should not run slow… do you have a lot of extensions installed? check them out at settingsButtonAtTheRightUpperCorner->tools->extensions… or better, settingsButtonAtTheRightUpperCorner->view background pages

• Farhan Sheikh

There are a lot of possibilities. Check:
    -your extensions and add-ons, delete any unnecessary ones
    -Programs running
    -Programs running in the background or in your tray
    -Your hard drive in case its filling up dangerously high

• Sachin Kanchan0

one of the reasons may be that you have put tonnes of data and program on you laptop ….

try not to open so many tabs at once,..

• GrrGrrr

Addons & Extensions in Chrome consume a lot of RAM, making it go slow. Also do you clean your browser history/cache- it may also slow down loading.

Make sure you are using the latest + stable version of Chrome version 25.0.1364.160.

• Oron Joffe

I occasionally find Chrome running slow on client’s computers (different OSs). There’s no single cause. Sometimes it’s a plugin, sometimes cleaning the cache & cookies will do it, and sometimes it’s a corrupt update (had two of the latter just recently!).
    My advice would be to empty the cache & cookies (Settings…, Advanced, [Clear Browsing Data…] etc). If this makes no difference, observe if there is any particular site (or sites) which cause a slow-down, and check if they use any plug-ins which may need reinstallation. If this fails, remove Chrome and download a fresh copy.

• Alan Wade

Try Chrome with no addons or extensions loaded. If it runs faster then start your addons/extensions one by one until you get the lag then disable that addon.

• yuitre_

Try firefox, it’s better than IE in my opinion. Just look at the plethora of addons at your disposal !

• Anish P

Perhaps Chrome is not yet optimized for Windows 8 use. However, since windows 8 has been on the market for a few months, I’m sure google would have patched up any issues. I would suggest using other browsers such as firefox or opera and compare their performance.