Why does Chrome eat up all my memory on Windows 7 4GB RAM laptop?

Ray Morin February 15, 2013

I usually have 4 or 5 Chrome browsers tabs active and after a while they use so much memory, my memory use goes to high 90s% and laptop is so slow it is useless. Typically, I have to close Chrome down the reopen to reclaim some free memory. Any suggestions?

1. steve

You are all wrong ! Web page should not be internet rich app it should be information carrier and that is root of all problems. Heavy web pages should be blocked and this way developers of web pages would then think more than twice overloading web pages with useless or even dangerous scripts. This is heavy problem even on comp with 16 GB RAM and 6 or more core CPU. I have tested. All major brand browsers are overloading RAM and then have a sindrom of being very slow or even crashing. Instead of everything going faster, everything is going choked slowed down and bloating MS OS trough browser is a child's play. And browser developers are doing nothing against. One could have 10 MBit or more optics broadband and home supercomputer but normal home internet use with such development is not possible. We should build resource free internet inside internet and all others that are to heavy on web pages kicked out. I'm not interested on information as internet rich app. Information should be as is meant to be and web pages should use only this much RAM as as size being saved to disk. All web pages that are using more than 1 MB RAM should be blocked. Making internet fast freeing resources and an-choke ours computers.

2. Praveen Kumar

it seems you are using too many extension on google chrome.. try disabling some of these and clear your browsing data ..

3. Martin McToal

Chrome runs loads of background processes even when you have shut it down. it's just part of the advantaged and disadvantages that come with chrome. If you go to chrome settings. and click on advanced options, down at the bottom uncheck "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" That should help. Also check your extension and apps and decide if they are of benefit for you're particular needs. If they are not, then disable them.

4. Gaurav Joshi

it is no of extension you use and no of tabs that are open use extension TabMemFree to save memory while using google chrome

probably because of too many extensions, apps and tabs open at the same time.

Are the sites you visit trustworthy? Has your computer been using an excessive amount of bandwidth?

Start Chrome without any addons or extensions running, any better? If it is then its proberly a corrupted addon/extension. Enable them one by one checking Chrome as you go until you find the one that hammers your resources.

Review Of Firefox, Chrome And IE Memory Usage 2012

Open a sample set of 10 websites (same for all browsers) in separate tabs:

Chrome – 465 MB
    IE9 – 388 MB
    Firefox – 222 MB

Chrome's memory usage and some ways to check it.

TabsOutliner extension
    Has the unique ability to close and preserve “in place” any tab or window, without removing them from the original context in the tree. Then, if needed, reopen them in the same way you select already open windows or tabs.

9. Jan Fritsch

In general you are right that Chrome is using a lot of memory by default. This is partially because of the multi-process model Chrome uses and because it is designed to be very responsive which requires a lot of it residing in memory.

However, even with dozen extensions installed and flash content in the tabs it shouldn't be much more than 200MB for the main process plus an additional 100-150MB per Tab.

You can see the current usage by pressing Shift + ESC while in Chrome or by entering about://memory into the address bar.
    This will help you identify if and what part of Chrome is using up a lot of memory. Maybe it is some incompatible extension or plug-in taking up a lot of it or worse one of them having a memory leak.

I would also suggest to look into the Windows Resource Monitor to see what else is using up your memory.
    - open up the Task Manager (rightclick the Taskbar and select Task manager)
    - go to the Performance tab
    - click Resource Monitor

If you are using a 32bit Windows memory numbers can be deceptive.
    Because of the limited address space you might be losing a big chunk of that just for having other hardware installed. For example a dedicated graphics card with 1GB of memory together with the rest of the hardware would mean you probably have around 2.7 - 2.9GB of RAM available to the system.

With Windows 7 taking another 1-1.2GB by default that would leave you with 1.5GB for applications. Substracting (200+5*120) for Chrome you are down to only 700MB for other applications.

10. DalSan Mack

One reason RAM gets use up quickly with browsers are the amount of Add-ons and plug-ins are installed and used by the browser along with any and all installed tool bars. Disable all add-ons (extensions) and toolbars to see if it helps. If it does help, only install or re-enable the extensions and toolbars you want to keep using or need.

11. Daniel J. Karas

How many extensions have you installed/running? Also, do you have a lot of background processes running? I have Win 7 Home with 4Gb RAM, and usually have 4-6 tabs open, with no problems. If I minimize, and jump into something memory intense, like Photoshop, Illustrator, or Publisher, I occasionally start getting memory paging (disk drive starts churning like crazy). Check your Task manager (right-click on the toolbar) and then look at your Processes tab. You should see many instances of Chrome.exe running, using various amounts of RAM, depending on how many tabs/extensions you are running. I would start chrome with just one tab, observe, then start adding until you get to your regular use. You can keep the Taskman open concurrent; it is updated real-time. I have a bigger problem maxing out my CPU, sadly.

if you do not use adobe flash then try this
    on chrome type
    on the right side click on Details
    scroll to Flash, then deactivate the ones that comes with chrome and let only macromedia.

now do your usual thing and see if it solves the memory problem multitab.

View Memory Usage of Each Tab

More and more websites are becoming FLASH and javascript heavy (especially with more ads) causing the memory usage for each tab on average to have gone up over the past 12-18 months.

13. Alexandra Momo

What are you doing with your tabs? Cause if you are streaming 4 different high definition video, it's normal after 9 hours. If not, then it could be an extension, a too old laptop.

Are you sure it is Chrome that is doing this and not a plugin you have installed? It sounds like a memory leak so I would look first at any Chrome plugins since I have run Chrome (without any additional plugins) on a 4GB Windows Vista desktop for hours with no ill effects. And I rarely have fewer than 8 tabs open simultaneously.