Why does an Active Directory trust relationship fail?

Jorge B October 30, 2013

Here at my workplace, they installed a domain (don’t know whick Windows they used). And every so often I’m called because some users have problems logging (back, in some cases) into their workstations. And seeing their attempts at log in, I see a message saying something about a failure in establishing a trust relationship between the workstation and the domain server.

Now, I fixed that several times logging in as a local Administrator, then removing the computer from the domain, and, after a reboot, joining it again to the domain. That’s my solution (don’t know if it works the same for anybody else.) My question here is: what causes the failure in establishing the trust relationship? And are there ways to prevent it?

Thank you all for your answers, beforehand

It's really difficult to tell without looking at your particular network in detail. On the face of it, it sounds like a corruption in the AD database, but it could be caused by a network problem or by an automatic script which adds machines to the domain (or removes them?). I suggest you liaise with the AD sysadmins who, at the very least, would be able to look at the logs and see what happened to the affected machine accounts.