Why does Amazon look different in Firefox than it does in Chrome?

KamilKozyra March 24, 2013

When I log in to Amazon on Firefox, the page looks different (missing images, all words on one side, etc.) but on Chrome it looks fine. Any ideas? I know a screenshot would help but I don’t know how to attach it here.

1. KamilKozyra

Thanks for everybody's input. In Firefox with add-ons it looks fine, so I'll have to go through my add-ons to find out.

• KamilKozyra

Sorry - "In Firefox with add-ons disabled..."

2. MakeUseOf TechGuy

Actually - you're blocking the Amazon CDN. CDNs are used to host static files, like images, javascript, and CSS 0 hence why you see a stripped down bare page. You probably have some plugins runnings, or something blocking resources on a third party domain. Kill all your plugins, and temporarily disable your system firewall in order to isolate whats doing it.

3. KamilKozyra

Clearing history (cache, cookies, etc) didn't help.

As others said, the obvious place to begin is to reset Firefox (cache and cookies, at any rate). It's also possible that a particular setting has been changed (use of CSS, or image display options), but for this we'd need to see screenshots (see susendeep's suggestion).

5. deepanker70

Actually browsers have different beaviour towards HTML5 and CSS3. Browser interpret it in different way so there may be a kind of difference.
    You can Try removing cache from your browser. Sometimes it is the main problem. read this to understand better: http://www.usethistip.com/2013/03/what-is-browser-cache-and-how-to-bypass.html
    If the problem still arises, switch to a one browser permanent that shows it best

6. Imesh Chandrasiri

Clear your cache in firefox and check whether there is a change! if not try updating or downgrading a version!

Use imgur to allow use to view the screenshots.You can also upload the screenshots to cloud services like Google Drive,dropbox too and make it as public and paste that link in the comment section.

Although,you might know it,but had you cleared cache,cookies and other browsing data in Firefox and tried loading the Amazon page ?

• KamilKozyra

Now,after looking at the screenshots,it has become clear to me that it's a problem on Amazon's end as they had not optimized their page code to run properly on different browsers.

If you do run CCleaner,flush DNS or anything,nothing is going to improve it.Simply access it using Chrome for sometime and then wait for few days so that it could get fixed in the meantime.It's only the site admin who can fix it.

• MakeUseOf TechGuy

Rubbish. It's clear to me as a web developer that the user is blocking resources held on Amazons CDN. That's all. That's not amazons fault in the slightest.