Why does adding a second router slow down and hang my upload bandwidth?

Don Blevens January 16, 2013

I have a home network with 6 computers on it. For the last 3 years I have had them hooked up to a Linksys WRT54GS, running regular wired ethernet and wireless-G. I have maintained a consistent 35M download/8M upload on all computers with the wired connections and a 16M download/4M upload on the wireless-G connections.

Over the last 3 months I have upgraded the 3 computers in my bedroom to Gig Ethernet and wireless-n connections. To take advantage of that, my friend gave me a Linksys WRT310N Gig Ethernet, wireless-N router. I added it to the network and lost my upload speed on every computer in the house.

My downloads stay at 35M. My uploads totally stop and hang up for 3-4 minutes and then they dribble a .3M connection for about a minute. Then it starts over, they hang up for 3-4 minutes and then dribble a .3M connection for about a minute. It doesn’t matter whether I am using the reg Ethernet, Gig Ethernet, wireless-G or wireless-N connections. All the computers on every connection I use does it.

However, if I remove the high-speed WRT310N from the network, every connection goes back to normal and works fine. I don’t even have anything plugged in to the high-speed WRT310N anymore and it still does it.

I have tried going from the cable modem to the low-speed router and then to the high-speed router and I have switched them around and gone from the cable modem to the high-speed router and then to the low-speed router and it makes no difference. If the high-speed router is physically attached to the network, even with nothing else plugged into it, I lose the upload speed. If it is not, I maintain the upload speed.

There is no microwaves or lights or anything that might interfere with the high-speed and I have moved it around to different rooms to be sure. I am totally stumped and have NO idea where to even begin to try and figure out what is going on and I don’t know where to start looking for answers.

Can anybody shed any light on this or lead me in a direction that I should start looking in to?

1. Justin Pot

Are both devices acting as full routers? If so they will conflict. You should set up one of them to act basically as a switch to avoid conflicts. Only one device on a network should be running a DHCP server, for example. Here is a quick guide I found:

http://routersetup.blogspot.com/2007/08/connecting-two-routers-wired.htm

I hope this is helpful. I made a similar mistake once and in addition to destroying speeds the network would regularly go down.

2. Labas Antanai

Does your WRT310N has latest firmware version?

3. Jamie Merlau

What firmware are you running on the router? Are you able to pull any ARP/routing tables from the devices? A packet capture would give you far more detail, but I am not sure how technically inclined you are in that field.

do you have windows restore point to revert back to date where was fine. Also check if you have malwares, boot on live cd and scan or safe mode and scan with malwarebytes antimalware, superantispyware, clamwin

Do a registry scan with ccleaner, tuneup utilites (it has a function for internet boost)...

5. Jan Fritsch

If I understand it correctly EVERYTHING stays the same – all connections, wiring etc.
    The only thing that changes is that you connect the WRT310N via cable to the WRT54GS (except the one time you tried it the other way around).

Have you hard-reset the WRT310N once?
    Have you configured it before connection to the existing network?

• Don Blevens

Yes, I hard reset both routers and hooked each one up straight to my computer to assign IPs, turn DHCP on/off, give SSID names, etc, before connecting them together via ethernet cable betwnn lan ports, not lan to wan ports (I want all computers on the same network so they can see/interact with each other).

Now here is the strange part. It has been doing this non-stop for 2 days now. I woke up about 30 minutes ago and started to dig in to it some more and Bam, it is working fine. I have my consisten 8M up and no hangs. I didn't do anything to the network. It wasn't working, I went to bed, got up and it is working. Before was really 7m-8m up and now I am actually getting 8m-10m up.

I have serious concerns that it will just stop working again so I am still going to look into it and not close this out.

• Jan Fritsch

It's definitely odd, yes!

One idea I could come up with is that after the hard-reset the WiFi had no or weak protection, someone connected and for some reason wasn't dropped although you changed the SSID.

I know that the newer Cisco/Linksys devices have some internal security thing (PC Health Blocklist or so?) that should communicates with an online server. But that shouldn't block all the upload~