Why does adding a second router slow down and hang my upload bandwidth?

Don Blevens January 16, 2013

I have a home network with 6 computers on it. For the last 3 years I have had them hooked up to a Linksys WRT54GS, running regular wired ethernet and wireless-G. I have maintained a consistent 35M download/8M upload on all computers with the wired connections and a 16M download/4M upload on the wireless-G connections.

Over the last 3 months I have upgraded the 3 computers in my bedroom to Gig Ethernet and wireless-n connections. To take advantage of that, my friend gave me a Linksys WRT310N Gig Ethernet, wireless-N router. I added it to the network and lost my upload speed on every computer in the house.

My downloads stay at 35M. My uploads totally stop and hang up for 3-4 minutes and then they dribble a .3M connection for about a minute. Then it starts over, they hang up for 3-4 minutes and then dribble a .3M connection for about a minute. It doesn’t matter whether I am using the reg Ethernet, Gig Ethernet, wireless-G or wireless-N connections. All the computers on every connection I use does it.

However, if I remove the high-speed WRT310N from the network, every connection goes back to normal and works fine. I don’t even have anything plugged in to the high-speed WRT310N anymore and it still does it.

I have tried going from the cable modem to the low-speed router and then to the high-speed router and I have switched them around and gone from the cable modem to the high-speed router and then to the low-speed router and it makes no difference. If the high-speed router is physically attached to the network, even with nothing else plugged into it, I lose the upload speed. If it is not, I maintain the upload speed.

There is no microwaves or lights or anything that might interfere with the high-speed and I have moved it around to different rooms to be sure. I am totally stumped and have NO idea where to even begin to try and figure out what is going on and I don’t know where to start looking for answers.

Can anybody shed any light on this or lead me in a direction that I should start looking in to?