Why do YouTube videos glitch and not playback properly?

Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda November 17, 2012

Sometimes I watch a video on YouTube, and the video becomes green and skips to the end of the video without showing the rest of it.

How do I fix this?

1. Tony Gonzaga

Better check your connection speed. This happens when you have slow internet connection.

2. Marian Cimbru

Try to use the Youtube version for slow bandwidth, called "Youtube Feather". Go to http://www.youtube.com/feather_beta and try...

3. mohit kumar

I think it's because of slow speed.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Connected through ethernet man... cant be that slow.

4. Paul Pruitt

Heh! In April I bought a new mid level machine with an i5 processor and 8 GB of RAM and a 1 TB old style HD from a brand I won't mention. I had problems with choppy playback, not a buffering issue, the video would just hesitate or stop. I know what buffering is and this was not buffering.

I bought a 120 GB SSD, moved my OS to there and my important programs and left my files and pictures on the 1 GB hard drive. Problem solved :-)!

Now about the exact problem you are having where the video goes green and skips to the end. I have that problem with this video site: http://www.wimp.com. They re-host the videos on their site and their bandwidth is too small but in addition to the obvious buffering issues they have with new videos, I noticed the green screen shortening of video thing you mentioned.

Wimp.com always has a link under the video where you can find the original, usually on You Tube. When you go to this link, the videos play until the end and don't buffer!

5. Douglas Mutay

In my opinion if you can watch a part of the video without problem its means that your browser is ok. So I might only be a network issue. You are viewing a streaming video, so if your connexion fail before all the movie is available for viewing there is a huge possibility that the problem you mentioned arise.

6. Boni Oloff

Make sure your connection has no problem, and you update the flash player and the browser.

7. Joseph Darwin Co

did you try it with other browsers? is your flash player updated?

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Yes and yes.

8. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Check your plugins. Flash is prone to crash. Maybe you have conflicting extensions.

• Cristián Torres

Am I trying to disable Adobe Flash Player when I go to the plugins page?

9. Katharine Wood

ha14 is right. I love Chrome but it has a lot of issues with flash due to their insistence on using their own version of flash built into the browser. Go to plugins like he said and disable all the ones that come with Chrome. It'll say something like "Chrome\Application\23.0.1271.64\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll".

10. Nikhil Chandak

there may be a problem in the web-browser
    try watching videos in another good browser such as Firefox

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Wouldn't Chrome be the best web browser in terms of watching YouTube videos?

• Nikhil Chandak

For me also ,Chrome is the best web-browser , but everybody has their own favourite web-browser ....
        Some say Chrome is best and some say Firefox is best .........
        But u shall try out watching videos in another web-browser such as Firefox , if you are not having problems watching video in Firefox , then there is some problem in ur Chrome , so then u shall re-install ur Chrome and then try watching videos in Chrome ......

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Thanks for the advice! I'll try it out.

• Nikhil Chandak

I hope that my advice works !
          so that it will help u out :)

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Mozilla Firefox shows the same result. It's also not just on YouTube.

11. Rob Hindle

Could be a bandwidth problem, or maybe some other activity on your PC slowing things down like a backup, defrag or virus scan running as a background task.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

I use Verizon FiOS Quantum (which I shouldn't say is great, or else I wouldn't be using SPEEDbit Video Accelerator). I'm not the one to say that the bandwidth is rather lackluster, but that's what I am left to deduce, since the only good signal I get is when I am very close to the router or connected to ethernet. Could that contribute to the problem?

• Rob Hindle

That may well be the answer. I think you're saying you are on a wireless connection. The speed of that can be degraded by distance from the router (worse with thick walls), other devices contending for the same radio frequencies and electrical interference.
        It's a nuisance but I ran ethernet to every room in the house so I can always get maximum speed. I only use wireless for mobile phone (and laptop if necessary).

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Tried running it through ethernet. Unfortunately, the same thing happens. Not just on YouTube but other websites as well.

• Rob Hindle

Have you run a speed check on your internet line? If that's OK I guess the next place to look is the PC. Reboot (to release any memory leaks) kill all other non-essential tasks. Use a clean browser (no add-ins).

• Rob Hindle

Oh (sorry If I'm repeating anything anyone else has said, this discussion is getting lengthy, I've not re-read it all).
          Is your internet shared? switch off all other devices and disable wireless.

on chrome type
    chrome://plugins/
    on the right side click on Details
    scroll to Flash, then deactivate the ones that comes with chrome and let only macromedia.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

When you say "ones" what do you refer to? And how would you deactivate them? When I let macromedia, what exactly am I letting it do, and how would I let it do it?

under adobe flash player you will see two shockwave flash with different location one in google/chrome and the second macromedia/flash, they both have disable button underligned, click the one google/chrome.

you can always re-enable later

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

It was disabled in the first place as it appears...

13. Hisham

Well update your fash plugin or try the new html5. goto http://www.youtube.com/html5. Maybe you might feel the difference.

• Cristián Torres

Would SPEEDbit be able to take effect in the new html5?

Check to see whether any firewall is interrupting it by disabling it for some time.

Also,check whether this happens with other updated browsers with updated flash plugin.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

I currently am using SPEEDbit Video Accelerator. Could that contribute to the problem?

Might be.Try disabling the extension in your browser you use and see if the incident repeats or not.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Still happens. I don't think disabling SbVA disabled it.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

*fixed

• Cristián Torres

I can't disable the SPEEDbit extension because that is what I depend on for watching videos on YouTube. I'm not going to just throw money in the trash.

Then you can ask the company to fix your issue as you had paid for their product.

If they fail to fix your issue,then keep using their product until the product's license expires and then you can decide whether to continue or remove it.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

I tried multiple things. I tried disabling SPEEDbit Video Accelerator. Didn't work. I tried contacting SPEEDbit and requested them to provide assistance in which the replied, troubleshooted and gave me the end result that it wasn't their program that was causing the problem in which videos glitch. I also tested the problem on other websites. That shows that YouTube is not the only victim of the "green screen of death". I also tried to stream the same video on Mozilla Firefox. Surprisingly, the same result occurred! It's an epidemic, I tell you.

Then you need to do some work in updating drivers of your graphics card or graphics chipset.Might this would solve your issue.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

I tried updating the drivers to my graphics card and that didn't work.