Why do YouTube videos buffer frequently?

Sumner Spector December 16, 2012

Why is it that most videos I watch I have to lower the audio to 240 to listen without it continuously buffering? Sometimes this is not available and I just can’t watch that particular video. This is mostly on YouTube. When I watched the MakeUseOf video the audio was great. Is their a quick fix for this problem?

1. Manuel Guillermo López Buenfil

Most people here say that it depends on your internet connection. I disagree. I can say by experience that Youtube videos will sometimes load very slowly even if you have a lot of bandwidth to spare. That is because Youtube is not giving you data fast enough, maybe because that particular video is in a busy server, maybe because they chose to limit the bandwidth. I have found that increasing the video quality sometimes decreases your buffering time!
    Anyway, there is not much you can do if a video refuses to load quickly (other than try it with other quality). What I do is download every video that I want to watch and refuses to load (almost every video). Downloading a video is usually very fast, and allows you to watch it with no interruptions.
    I use DownloadHelper (add-on for Firefox) to download videos, there are many options out there.

2. Ahamed Yaseen

Using high speed networks to eliminate buffering...

3. Ashwin Ramesh

Maybe you have exceeded the data usage for a particular month? And yes, it also does depend on the speed of your internet connection. Some video players are heavy. They take time to buffer and play. I am surprised that you are having trouble with YouTube.

it depends on the internet connection. Videos are heavy files and they need to download the videos to show it to you. so faster the internet speed, faster will be the download speed and will buffer less.

5. Jose Paolo Gonzales Otico

It's highly probable that your internet connection can't load up the video without having to buffer. If you know your speeds are fine then there are other areas to look at such as: browser problems, flash issues, firewall/antivirus permissions, operating system problems, virus, etc.

You'll probably have to isolate the problem. If your other computers have no issues then it's likely software based on the computer you're using.

depends on your internet connection, perhaps problems with antivirus/firewall