Why do people watermark photos?

Roomy Naqvy December 14, 2012

What is the need for individuals to watermark photos? Unless you run a company or something I don’t see much need in doing so. Could you please enlighten me about it?

1. Rob Hindle

Someone I did some work for found there was an image on his website that some guy was linking to as an avatar. As a result it had become the most accessed item on his web-site.

He asked me to watermark it but instead I set up an htaccess command such that requests from his web site got the normal image but requests from anywhere else got an image nobody would want as their avatar!

Apart from that, it's quite useful for protecting product images - just look at eBay for plenty of examples. Also useful on YouTube videos.

2. Ahmed Musani

people watermark their photos to prevent piracy.

3. Andrew Yen

to stop ppl from claming a photo was them who took it when really it was not

4. siddharth singh

people watermark photos suck that people cant steal their photos without them knowing

5. Deimarr Callender

so that people wouldn't pass off your work as their own

6. John Smith

To avoid people or public as their own and make money. By copy right you are protected your photo as misuse or gain financial.

7. Âdil Farôôq

People watermark their photos to protect their work so that right person to be credited for their genuine work done.

8. Fawad Mirzad

Usually for marketing purpose. for example if you have got a photo from makeuseof and posted on your Facebook. i as your friend see the makeuseof logo and may visit their site.
    Other than that they may watermark for making you purchase their high quality watermark free version.
    depends upon owner

9. James Maciel

The main reason is so that you can not steal the image and to protect their copyright.

10. luis donis

to protect their images and others do not steal

11. Mac Witty

After you have seen your own work on stockphoto sites and other websites you might get a bit feed up and start to watermark them as a way to protect them.

12. josemon maliakal

nice..people never likes their works to be copied and stated as someone else's

13. Roshin idi

Prevent people from copying it and calming it as their own.

14. Ron Lister

Well as far as I can tell. a water mark doesn't prevent you from viewing the work. You should see the photo through the watermark without any problem, I certainly can. the only reason I would imagine someone being upset by a watermark showing ownership and giving credit for someones photography is if someone wanted to use their work without permition or to try and claim it as there own work. if you want a copy to use without a watermark now you have a source contact right on the photo just let them know what you want to use the photo for im sure they would make some arangement for limited use. Was there some instance where you needed a photo that was watermarked and what was your intended purpose for it? please elaborate maybe I could come to see your point of view if I knew what you why you needed someones photo to not have a watermark.

15. Stefan P

Copyright copyright copyright... Watermarking them is good because nobody except you had the original photo, and the watermarked photo is pretty useless to anyone other than you... They can not use it on their website, or printed materials, and if they do, it'd be a stupid thing.

16. Ahamed Yaseen

Why do people watermark photos?

Promotion:
    There’s a reason bloggers like Pinterest: It’s right up there with Facebook as a traffic source. Clearly then, the problem isn’t that your pics are getting pinned but that they might be pinned without links, which is a problem pretty hard to prevent. When images from your site get pinned or posted without a link, your watermark is like your visual advertisement, pointing people to your site.

Ownership:
    A watermark identifies you with your photos wherever they are reproduced and verifies your ownership. While Pinterest and Tumblr users may still swipe your work, at least your name will go with it—so when someone wants to find you, it’s not difficult.

Protection:
    While many social media users spread content without attribution in pure ignorance, others have far less innocent motives. At least with a watermark, you deter the theft by making it harder for content thieves to swipe your work and pass it off as their own. Note that watermarking cannot ensure your work won’t be stolen; however, it may be a good deterrent.

Simple:
    Adding a watermark isn’t difficult, and it can be done quickly and simply through any photo-editing program. Once you’ve got a logo or image with your name and brand saved, all you have to do is add it to your photos before posting them.

17. Alex Perkins

To make sure people don't use it and "sell" it as their own.

18. Abba Jee

Due to copyright issues

some they use to help Elderly to remember special occasions

20. Arun Vishnu

inorder to keep the credit of their efforts,thy watermark it if they made it at their own risk

21. salim benhouhou

for copyright reasons

He's a senario for you.
    I used to write loads of walkthroughs for a couple of sites. These walkthroughs always have screenshots showing what it was I was trying to say. I found my screenshots on a different site along with my walkthroughs, the person that copied my work was getting all the credit, imagine how I felt!
    These days every picture, screenshot is watermarked.

23. Ramón García

Of course, to avoid them to be used without permission.

Someone said that it is not necessary if you only publish low-res photos. But, think that If they are good for your web site they would be enough for another web sites as well... then they can be used without permission.

24. Thomas Petrucha

To protect them from unrightful copy!
    The most people share their private (maybe often too private) pictures on the web and they won´t find them on others pages ... miss used for marketing or something more worse ...
    To watermark these Pictures give them private signature ... friends and other trusted persons will get the right pictures ;)

... a lot of companies and so steal Photos from public wegpages ... take FaceBook or other social networking pages ... they make money with placed marketing ... so your Profilpicture will appear on some other pages ...

25. Thehunting Lion

Its just a matter of fact that right person need to be credited for their genuine work done.

So that the photos will be stolen and used without the permission of the photographer or the owner of the photo.

27. Kulbhushan Mangle

Respected,

Now-a-days, many more people are taking up photography as hobby or leisure job. There are many photography enthusiasts than ever.

Imagine that you just spent a day of vacation in photographing a landscape and you share it on facebook and after some days, you came to know that your photo is popular trend on social site (or has won award ) but not for you; for some one other who has claimed that photos as his / her.

Finding photos and thieving them has become the most easy task, thanks to google, fb, and plethora of other sites.

Watermarking is a sort of digital-signature or copyright process that makes it difficult (not impossible) to do so for any one else. Also, it helps to identify who captured photograph in first instance.

Also, some photographers (preferably commercial one) use watermark as a tool of marketing.

I hope you may find this information useful. Thanks

28. Jose Paolo Gonzales Otico

It's meant to discourage thieves, show copyright, promote the brand. Mainly, mark the brand's territory.

29. Tim Brookes

It's a very good question, and unless you're providing samples to a client or sharing high-res high-quality photos that you don't want copied most of the time it's completely unnecessary. Elevated sense of importance maybe? Genuinely I don't know.

Without sounding harsh, a lot of "Facebook Photographers" (i.e. "I bought a camera and now I will charge you for pictures") tend to do this over the top of bad, poorly composed pictures. Maybe it seems more professional or something, most of the time it looks terrible. This can be overcome by only sharing low-res, non-print quality shots that aren't emblazoned with a name.

Main uses I can think for watermarking images:

You're breaking news, e.g. a rumours site and you've just got an exclusive snap of the next iPhone. Watermark it, reap the free traffic as everyone goes mad.

You're a website who reviews products (i.e. The Verge) and you'd like some credit for taking artsy, shallow depth-of-field photos that show the product off.

You're a professional photographer/artist/designer providing samples to a client who you don't want to go and copy the design without paying you for it.

... that's it.

30. Rohit Jhawer

Well people watermark their photos to protect their work. In this Internet age its better to tag your work to be on safe side than being a victim of stolen work.