Why do my points on MakeUseOf randomly disappear?

Michael Heffner April 10, 2013

I’ve had this happen a couple of times now. I’m 47 points away from the reward I want. I log on and share some tips that I find useful. I get to within 3 points and share another one and it goes back to being short 47 points, and will not give me any more for sharing.

1. Frank P

odd, i had about 150 now when i logged on it was 0 till the facebook thing. what happened to my points then?

2. MakeUseOf TechGuy

You're looking at "Top Geniuses This Week", which is a rolling total of points gained on the Answers site only in the past 7 days. This is unrelated to your total points, which is displayed next to your profile in the top right of every page.

• Michael Heffner

I was looking in the correct place in the upper right hand corner while on any page, and in the correct box on my profile page.. As I stated above though, upon refreshing the page 8 hours later the points had returned.

• muotechguy

Apologies Michael, I've heard from our service provider that they've been having some server problems. Glad to hear it's working for you again.

3. Tina Sieber

Hello Michael,

You currently have 803 points total and gained 214 points over the past 7 days.

Are you checking your total points in the top right corner rather than the Top Geniuses This Week in the sidebar on Answers?

None of your comments have been deleted and you received a couple of up-votes (additional points) on Answers. You made most of your points through sharing. Note that there are limits in place. Regardless, your total points shouldn't drop randomly.

Make sure you are logged in properly. You should see your name, avatar, and points in the top right of any page on MakeUseOf. Try to clear your browser cache and MakeUseOf-related cookies and log in again.

I am also forwarding your question to James, who can dig a little deeper if needed.

• Michael Heffner

I was watching the points rise in the top right hand corner. I left the browser window open and refreshed it 8 hours later and my points were back again and I was able to redeem my prize.

• Tina Sieber

Thanks for the update, Michael!